Don't Panic: The FJ Cruiser is not a Land Cruiser! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
Stirring the pot before actually doing some work this week.....

Has anyone noticed that the FJ Cruiser has very intentionally not been called a Toyota Land Cruiser? Sure, an FJ, a Cruiser, proud heritage, yada, yada..........but NEVER.........Toyota Land Cruiser. It was fun watching the fat guy skate around this during the "unveiling".

I consider this a very good sign that someone high up in the organization put their foot down and said, "Sure, bring it to market..........but it is not a Land Cruiser..... and you will not refer to it as such." :flipoff2:

Yup, they want to make sure that they don't squander the value of the current LC name in the US, which is attatched to $50k+ sales price, even though it is based on the same platform as the Land Cruiser/Prado. This is more like the original FJ40, original 4 runner, ie. shorter wheelbase, affordable, utilitarian, solid 4x4 for current market.

Well it can't be a Land Cruiser, they already have a Land Cruiser that they charge $$$$ for, that is a sweet vehicle. Marketing-wise it would be stupid to get near the Land Cruiser name/image (atleast of the current Land Cruiser) because they make money off the Land Crusier and it's their flagship vehicle (just like the Maxima is for Nissan).

I don't know if they'll keep the FJ Cruiser name, probably since they talk alot about the "FJ" heritage, etc...but I could see something like Land Runner. Since the Land Cruiser is the top vehicle, this needs to be below that, so instead of 'cruising' you're 'running'...ok it's a stretch.. :D

I'm not worried at all, it'll be popular, they'll probably charge quite a bit for it (Toyota always seems to), but it'll be worth it (like it always is). I mean heck, they made the Echo, the cheapest car they sold, yet is still a good reliable quality car. I have never seen a bad Toyota...

Good point. All you guys with your panties in a bundle waiting on this thing will be paying 35 grand for something that isnt even a land cruiser.

Hey if that's the case, it really doesnt belong on this site does it?!?!?!?!?

HA!

TB

HZJ60 Guy said:

HA!

TB

go ahead and tell woody he needs to boot all the tacoma, tundra, mini truck, and 4runners owners they need to turn in their silver stars and they are no longer welcome on this site

good luck!

HA!

PS they sold both the 40 and the 60 at the same time in the early 80's, both using the Land Cruiser name. i guess the early 80's model 60s shouldn't really be called land cruisers, since the 40 was still out then....

That's a point that I don't understand. The FJ40 AND the FJ60 were marketed at the same time in the early 80's. The FJ60 was suppose to by Toyota's first venture into a more comfortable vehicle.

With that said, why would it be so difficult for Toyota to market both the 100-series and a durable rugged vehicle at the same time with the same name?

I bring this up because one arguement as to why there isn't a 75-series in the states is becuase of the luxury standard set by the 100. I don't see this being much different than selling a Defender 90 next to a Range Rover....

HZJ60 Guy said:
Good point. All you guys with your panties in a bundle waiting on this thing will be paying 35 grand for something that isnt even a land cruiser.
You mean 25 grand, right? :cool:

HA!
The HZJ60 is not an US model cruiser but it is a platform available overseas, the FJ cruiser is a US model, based on a Land Cruiser Prado platform available overseas... so what model doesn't belong on this site? :D
Personally I don't want to kick you off, so I think HZJ60 should be allowed to stay :)

Jesus Chrimeny. I was just playing with you guys!

That's what the HA was for.

I say the more 4x4's around the better. Im just having fun with the fact that its pretty darn ugly.

Cant wait to see one in person.

TB

p.s., Army Tanks (thank you) Fire Truck.

yup, I was thinking that very thing last night, never called it a Land Cruiser.

which also makes me think the Land Cruiser 100(or what replaced it) will not be droped from the Toyota line up.

HZJ60 Guy said:
Jesus Chrimeny. I was just playing with you guys!

That's what the HA was for.

I say the more 4x4's around the better. Im just having fun with the fact that its pretty darn ugly.

Cant wait to see one in person.

TB

p.s., Army Tanks (thank you) Fire Truck.
I'm just messin' with you too. :)

Landpimp said:
which also makes me think the Land Cruiser 100(or what replaced it) will not be droped from the Toyota line up.

Hope springs eternal.

never-mind the 40 and 60 marketed together, what about the 40, 45, 55 all at the same time?

chuglife said:
never-mind the 40 and 60 marketed together, what about the 40, 45, 55 all at the same time?

The 40, 45, 55 and 60 all shared the same platform. :confused: The 80 and 100 are the successor of that same platform in the U.S.

Marketing the 100 and FJ Cruiser under the same nameplate would have been like marketing the 1st generation 4runner as a Land Cruiser when the FJ60 was available. Now if they had called it the Land Runner...............hey, that would be the same as what they're doing now. ;p

Cruiser_Nerd said:
The 40, 45, 55 and 60 all shared the same platform. :confused: The 80 and 100 are the successor of that same platform in the U.S.

Marketing the 100 and FJ Cruiser under the same nameplate would have been like marketing the 1st generation 4runner as a Land Cruiser when the FJ60 was available. Now if they had called it the Land Runner...............hey, that would be the same as what they're doing now. ;p

i can't tell if you're agreeing with me or telling me i'm an idiot? :confused: ;p

Ha, I can't even tell if I'm agreeing with myself. :D

I'm glad they didn't put "land" in front of the name, the FJ doesn't live up to what it should be. They want to market it to the value "hip" sicon crowd, give me a break right there shows it's a puss of a rig. It's an ugly 2 door 4runner...nothing more. Atleast put a new suspension up in dat, like a 4wheel independent....now that would be cool and functional (like the new rangerover's) or a really pimp soild axle.

I'll disown this bastard son along with it's scion siblings. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom