1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't like my gold emblems

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by offroadkid, Jan 30, 2004.

1. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    My new 97 LC has gold emblems that I don't like. The rear hatch key cylinder cover is starting to lose it's gold, and the chrome is showing. Can I just rub it off wiht polish, or will it not come off. Or has no one ever thought of doing this?!! Thanks.

2. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2] What about going silver . Order a batch from Dan . Remove the old ones with a heat gun , plastic scraper , 3M wheel , and goo gone . The get the truck waxed and apply your new set .... opinions will vary :flipoff2:[/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

3. lagwagon

lagwagon

I might have some used ones. Anything to help get the gold off there.

4. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    The back door key cylinder was more than likely plated on the vehicle. That piece was not included in the OEM gold emblem set. There are mobile platers that can plate trim pieces on the vehicle. That method seems to be not as durable. I bet polishing with a chrome polish will remoe the remaing plating on the cylinder.

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    well find him a black 100 with no gold, I will gladly swap him his for mine(gold) :D and toss in some taillight guards

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=10824;start=msg97558#msg97558 date=1075646410]
    As a point of interest, I recently attempted to assist someone find a 100 series landcruiser. His first requests for the right vehicle were #1 A Black LC and #2 Gold Emblem Package!!! I thought that was somewhat funny; no mention of lockers, miles, mods etc. Different strokes for different folks!
    [/quote]

6. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

PM a board member here named Junk. He really, really likes gold emblems and will happily pay big money for some.

Tell him Gumby sent you. :D

7. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    Yeah, I know Junk :flipoff2:!!! He always has good replies to peoples posts!! I get a good laugh everytime I read stuff from him!! I don't want to give my emblems away, I just want to try to rub the gold plate off of them, and hopefully find the original chrome behind it. When I used to work at Lexus, there was a guy that would come out and electrically apply the gold to the chrome emblems. I wish I knew how to get a hold of him to see how to reverse it!! Thanks everyone.

8. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    Yeah, I know Junk :flipoff2:!! I always get a good laugh from his crazy replies!! I;m not trying to get rid of my emblems, I just want to try and rub the gold off and find the original chrome behind it. When I used to work at Lexus, there was a guy that would come out and electrically apply gold plating to the chrome emblems. I'm going to try and get a hold of him Monday, and see if I ca get it off. I think it might be $$$ to get new emblems. Thanks