Don't be afraid of emissions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I was, it all looked like vodoo to me.

But I have been studing the FSM emissions manual and I'll tell ya...if you follow the tests its all pretty easy to test and troulbe shoot. Don't need much more than a vacuume guage, a piece of hose and a mity vac(but lungs work OK)

This weekend I decided(seeing how I put a brand new carb on it and wanted to make sure everying worked like it should) I would test all the emissions parts on my 82 fj40, learned ALOT by doing so, only 2 problems I have found, the BVSV's(those valves with the hoses on the t-state housing) are both not working(one effects the choke opener. other the advance and some other stuff), they are in the open postion, not a huge problem by any means but it's still a problem, so I have a pair of em on the way.

Also on my 86 fj60, I just finaly(sense I had the carb rebuilt) figured out why I had constant vacuume advance(which was also causeing run on).......after testing and reading I discovered the stilly hose on the carb was on the wrong port :doh: not really my fault as I had the guy who rebuilt the carb install it and run it on the 3 gas machine.

So I guess my point is.....its all important stuff to learn and really not that hard at all. trying to find a shop to test this stuff is not getting any easier(and some of em will prolly mess it up worse), its also time consuming(which = $$$$) and it feels great when you fix something! So grab the book......and go to town, its not as bad as the mess of hose, valves, ect make it all look.......if I can muddle my way thru anyone can :)

Anytime it is mentioned, I hide, after I change my underpants...

John,

Thank you for creating another good thread on why anyone that owns one of these vehicles, and wants to work on them, NEEDS to purchase the factory service manuals for their truck, or trucks!!!

:beer: :beer:

-Steve

It has always amazed me that people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on their Land Cruiser, and not invest a couple hundred dollars, if that, in the Toyota factory service manuals, including the owners manual.

I own and have owned the FSM(all) for all my Cruisers sense I bought each of em(of course some overlap) Prolly.......no..... it IS the BEST money you can spend on your Cruiser, I freakin read em even when s*** aint broke :D But I have not really had to(or so I thought) worked on or gotten into the emission stuff till recently, yeah i have read it.....but didnt understand but was SO worthwhile to actaully test stuff.......even though I really didn't think I had issue(with the Cruisers ;) But man I learned alot.

Working myself up to doing the carb I took off the 82(or maybe I'll start with another, simpler carb for the 45)......after all the hell I and others went thru(and some still are) with rebuilds( Jim C. is the is the only one I have heard nothing but great things about) I think its something I want to learn or at least understand.....

(I am NOT mechanicaly inclined and Cruisers are the only things I have ever worked on)

Pimp, with as many Cruisers as you have, your factory service manuals probably cost more than my FZJ :D I agree with you, once you go through the tests in order it's not so tough. I had a run of friends needing emissions testing on 60s and it was amazing how many hoses were flipped around including the big smog pump hoses ???. Now I have a surplus of smog parts and miles of fancy silicone hose(the real size) as nobody carries the right stuff locally.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=10747;start=msg96612#msg96612 date=1075351573] I freakin read em even when s#!t aint broke :D [/quote]

Just need to memorize the torque settings... ::)

I got a full set of manuals on eBay for $40 last fall. They are much better than the Haynes manual. Sometimes, I have to look at both to figure it out. It gives you two perspectives in a way.

[quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=10747;start=msg96909#msg96909 date=1075430185]
I got a full set of manuals on eBay for $40 last fall. They are much better than the Haynes manual. Sometimes, I have to look at both to figure it out. It gives you two perspectives in a way.
[/quote]

Yes it does. A Jap perspective, and a Limey one...

I'll stick to the FSM...Haynes makes ok sox... :cheers:

I use my chilton's manual for sh!t paper. Haynes is ok but the fsm's are the bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom