Doner Vehicles for '74 FJ40 Brake booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Are there any other common vehicles at the pick n pull yards that I could pull a brake booster from (Toyota or other wise)? I think my my vaccumbooster is bad. I plan to go to a hydroboost down the road but I have to do a disc brake conversion first.

Thanks!

Hi All:

A Toyota 4wd mini-truck brake booster from the 1980s is an *almost* direct, bolt-in replacement for the stock drum brake booster on a '74 FJ40.

When I say "almost" what I mean is a slight modification is required to the activator rod on the booster. This rod needs to be shorten a bit to work correctly on a 40 Series.

I can't quite remember the correct amount that needs to be trimmed-off the rod, but you should be able to figure that out with a search here on MUD.

Good luck!

Alan

Minitruck and 60-series boosters will work. Throw an 80-series MC while you are it, if you're going 4-wheel discs.

Thanks! Are there any non-Toyota vehicles that make good donors? Thought I read someting about the Volvo booster but I can't seem find it again.

Whatever Booster you use just remember your still going to have to use your old master cylinder until you swap out to disk brakes, The Cruiser master cylinder has a 8psi valve that keep pressure in the lines for the drum brakes. Just aheads up Later after the disk brakes you can remove the valve

I wouldn't bother with a non-Toyota booster, you won't have to dink around with differences in bolt patterns, clearance, etc.

Thanks! Are there any non-Toyota vehicles that make good donors? Thought I read someting about the Volvo booster but I can't seem find it again.

Been looking at booster threads for 5+ years, and I haven't heard any such thing. Minitruck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom