dome light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I open the passenger side rear door the dome light doesn't come on.

The little black rubber button thats in the door opening that actuates the light moves freely but doesn't turn the light on.

The other three doors operate the light fine.

Any ideas?

Bad ground at the door switch. Remove the switch and clean the ground contact inside. Most likely your problem.

and if that don't work get a new one...........think $20

While you are at it, you might want to pop for one of George's LED replacement "bulbs". I received mine today and it takes about 5 minutes to install. Big improvement.

LED Dome Light
domelight0001.JPG
domelight0002.JPG

i'll second the led's.

also, check and make sure the wire to the switch hasn't been broken...i ran into that.

Ok. I removed the rubber cover, unscrewed the switch from the door frame, wiped off all the grease. I see there is only one wire going to the switch but it seems to be the power lead, not the ground. If that is the case where would the ground be located?

Is the ground part of the switch where the back of the metal housing touches the plunger?

Last edited:
I took the switch apart and found a spring. And then realized the greae I was wiping off is that waterproof insulating stuff. Do we know where that wire runs if it's broken or detatched. It seems the only way to get to the inside is through the wheel well. Is that correct?

That peice your looking at is the switch. When the door is closed the plunger is pushed in and the connection is not being made, thus, no light. When the door is open the connection is made, and the circuit is complete. You are looking at the right piece, just clean up the contacts and that should do it. If someone tried to grease the door hinge they may have gotten some on the switch casuing the connection to be lost. Good Luck, hope this helps!

That does help. The switch is clean. And no light. I plan to get a new one unless someone has a parts truck and wants to send to 28805. Please and Thanks.

I've had a couple of 60s where the pass side rear door doesn't work. Its one of the few things I haven't actively fixed on my current rig. I think the switch is fine. The wire runs down inside the rear quarter panel to the rear and then crosses over to the drivers side just in front of the rear bumper. I think the problem lies in a wiring connector that is corroded. Best guess is in the pass side quarter panel.

My passenger side rear door has the same excat problem. All the other doors are ok. Weird that that is a common problem.

Any links or information about George's LEDs?

That's the one, and the 80/100 works in 60 series. Rear requires a little more work, but there's a writeup about 6x series installs somewhere out on the intarweb.

He links to 2 60 installs on his website. The main dome in the 60 is really easy to pop in. The rear one takes a little more but looks straight forward. I only did the main one.

i have both. had em now for bout a year. LUV em. wanna talk about light? when both are on, its BRIGHT! "thanks George!" -sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom