Dome Light Gremlins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I did not see my specific gremlin addressed in any of the other threads so I figured let’s start yet another.

The background:
Dome light has worked for as long as I’ve owned my FJ62 (7 months). I had always kept it in the “door” position. About 2 weeks ago, it began acting flaky, only lighting up sometimes when opening a door. Didn’t matter which door.

Then, last week, it stopped lighting up altogether. I popped off the plastic lens and fiddled with the bulb, and often that got it to light up immediately. Now, fast forward to today, that method no longer works either. I checked the festoon bulb itself and the filament is good and intact.

Next, I removed the dome light screws and unplugged the assembly from the wire harness so I could inspect it better. Sure enough, the switch contacts had a lot of green patina on them and needed cleaned. I figured this had to be it so I sandpapered all four of the contacts:

Before sanding:
IMG_0825.JPG

After sanding:
IMG_0830.JPG

Unfortunately, after plugging it back in and testing it with the bulb, it did not fix anything. Still no light. Thought for sure I had it!

I checked the other threads for ideas and they suggested consulting the FSM electrical diagrams at the back of the manual so I reviewed them. I thought checking the dome circuit would be a good idea. The cargo light is on that circuit but that light works in the 62, so I kinda figured it wasn’t the dome fuse in the fuse box. Checked it anyway, it’s good.

Then, I got out the multimeter and checked voltage at the wire harness terminal. 12.44V. Looks good.

Wire harness terminal:
IMG_0922.JPG

Multimeter reading at the wiring harness terminal:
IMG_0923.JPG

Moving along the circuit, I checked the voltage across the festoon bulb contacts with the switch in the “door” position, and got 12V again. Moved switch to “on” position and again got 12V. Last I moved it to “off” position and got a variable 1.5 - 6V, but not 12V.

Voltage test across the bulb contacts (red arrows) in "door", "on", and "off" switch positions:
0BCDB1D6-24C6-4202-A4F6-5A60823C2B87.jpeg

So I have voltage at "door" and "on", and a weird voltage at "off" which seemed odd but not sure what it means as I’m not electrically inclined. Anyone understand this voltage? Anyway, I’m not sure what else to try, apart from buying a new dome light assembly and giving it a whirl. Really scratching my head and wanting to just blame myself for “letting the smoke out” lol.

Advice is welcome, thanks ‘MUD!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a grounding problem. I can’t remember if these are power or ground switched but I’m thinking ground switched. If you take the bulb out and move the switch to one of the on positions do you have one contact with 12v and the other with none? If so you can check for continuity from the ground side to ground. You can also jump a ground carefully to that side and put the bulb back in. If the light comes on you know it’s a grounding issue. But I’m working off memory here...need to see wiring diagram.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a grounding problem. I can’t remember if these are power or ground switched but I’m thinking ground switched. If you take the bulb out and move the switch to one of the on positions do you have one contact with 12v and the other with none? If so you can check for continuity from the ground side to ground. You can also jump a ground carefully to that side and put the bulb back in. If the light comes on you know it’s a grounding issue. But I’m working off memory here...need to see wiring diagram.
Thanks Seth, I might have to play around more with the multimeter trying those things out. I'm admittedly not as great with electrical problems as I am with mechanical ones. I will give it a try later.

Same symptoms on my 62. I replaced both door switches on the front door frames. Problem was fixed with new switches, which are still available from Toyota. After 30 years, they wear out.
Wow, same symptoms and it ended up being a door switch then, huh? Interesting, MTB! I figured since the light won't light up in either the "door" or "on" position, that the door switches would be ruled out. Shows how little I know about electrical circuits :oops:. I did take a look at both rear door switches, which are behind the little rubber covers, but did not see where the front door switches are located. Are they inside the latch or something?

On the Front door frame near the door hinges. Switch is pushed in when door is closed and releases when door is opened. I also checked the dome switch and clean it up like you and replaced bulb with an LED bulb. Much better light.

This is good to know about these door switches, I appreciate everyone’s suggestions!

Same symptoms on my 62. I replaced both door switches on the front door frames. Problem was fixed with new switches, which are still available from Toyota. After 30 years, they wear out.
Which switches? The push switches at the doors? Mine has a similar problem that if I leave the fuse in and lights are off it will slowly kill my battery. Maybe a ground/switch issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, the push switches at the front doors. The driver's door switch was the bad switch (gets the most use). I replaced the passenger door switch also for good measure. I cleaned up the dome light and it worked, but decided to get and install a new dome assembly as well. Also replaced the OEM blub with an LED bulb.

Part # 81240-22070-08 - Interior Dome Lamp Assembly (Front) $36.78
Part # 84231-28010 Switch, Courtesy Lamp, For Dome Light; when Front doors are open/closed. Two Required, One for each front door. $16.10 Each
Got mine via www.toyotapartsdeal.com

I did not have any battery drainage, so no electrical shortage for me. Just old and worn out switch/dome light assembly. good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom