Dome light gremlins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been fiddling with this f*****g dome light for almost 5 years now. Replaced the original festoon bulb with a small 4-pot LED board. Every other time I open the door, it lights up dim or flickers. I’ve replaced the LED unit twice, cleaned all the contacts on the switch, cleaned the harness connector, and even run a second ground wire to the chassis. Still acts up in both DOOR and ON positions. When I bang on the ceiling or wriggle the light housing, it often lights up fully, which makes me think this is a connection issue.

Anyone else have the same issue and managed to solve it?

I’ve been fiddling with this f*****g dome light for almost 5 years now. Replaced the original festoon bulb with a small 4-pot LED board. Every other time I open the door, it lights up dim or flickers. I’ve replaced the LED unit twice, cleaned all the contacts on the switch, cleaned the harness connector, and even run a second ground wire to the chassis. Still acts up in both DOOR and ON positions. When I bang on the ceiling or wriggle the light housing, it often lights up fully, which makes me think this is a connection issue.

I had kind of the same problem, did the same cleaning, Tested with an OEM Blub and LED and still had the issue. Also found that the driver's door switch was not working. So, i just installed a new assembly and new switch. Problem(s) solved.
Part # 81240-22070-08, Interior Dome Lamp Assembly (Front)
Part # 84231-28010, SWITCH ASSY, COURTESY LAMP (FOR FRONT DOOR)

I had kind of the same problem, did the same cleaning, Tested with an OEM Blub and LED and still had the issue. Also found that the driver's door switch was not working. So, i just installed a new assembly and new switch. Problem(s) solved.
Part # 81240-22070-08, Interior Dome Lamp Assembly (Front)
Part # 84231-28010, SWITCH ASSY, COURTESY LAMP (FOR FRONT DOOR)
Yep those switches get touchy after 30+ years. I recently cleaned both front door switches, smeared a touch of carbon grease on the point where the wire lead contacts the housing, and reinstalled with some copper (for the sake of conductivity) anti seize. Works perfectly now.

I have had similar problems with both the original and a new replacement dome switch. The problem was much worse with LED bulbs, but I still had occasional issues with an original bulb. I finally determined the problem was the staked rivet connections to the bulb clips were loose, the result of poor workmanship. My first thought was to solder them, but realized this would probably melt the plastic, so I choose to drill out the rivet and use a 2-56 stainless steel machine screw to secure the bulb clips.

Last edited:

P.M. sent. (LED dome light kits)

Last edited:
I have had similar problems with both the original and a new replacement dome switch. The problem was much worse with LED bulbs, but I still had occasional issues with an original bulb. I finally determined the problem was the staked rivet connections to the bulb clips were loose, the result of poor workmanship. My first thought was to solder them, but realized this would probably melt the plastic, so I choose to drill out the rivet and use a 2-56 stainless steel machine screw to secure the bulb clips.
Not a bad idea. Was this on an aftermarket replacement or an OEM replacement?

Both were OEM Toyota.
That's interesting. Makes me curious to take a peek at mine, but it's working fine since I did the switches so I really should leave well enough alone....

That's interesting. Makes me curious to take a peek at mine, but it's working fine since I did the switches so I really should leave well enough alone....
If it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it...

My dome light is flaky on cold days when I open the rear door because the rubber bellows that protect the door switch are old and stiff. If you grab the door pin switch (the rubber bellows) and pull out, the light comes on strongly. I just chalk it up to 'old truck charm' and live with it.

Reactions: db3
Hi, Common problem. Light not really well made and door switches wear out. Mike

If it’s fixed don’t broke it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom