dolly + fj60.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, as you know, I am desprete need to get a fj60 from Charlsten WV to Richmond VA as in like today. Uhaul has a dolly here, but on the site is says the fj60 is to heavy. Is their equipment really not strong for it or should I tell them I am towing a different car.

What are you towing it with? A dolly might be pushing it, I'd go with a U_haul trailer instead. Tell them it's for a corolla! :)

yeah i towed a 60 from colorado to idaho (about 600 miles) or more on a dolly. i had to tell them that i was going to tow a car, but it worked just fine. they are narrow and the cruiser barely fit on it, but it works.

I towed my 60 from TX to IN. No problems at all, even at 75mph ;) . Go with Penske, buy full insurance, and tell them it's for a small car. They will not let you tow the 60 legally. You will have to trailer it away from the Penske dealer.

I used a come-along in the front and rear to strap it down tight to the trailer. I had to deflate the tires somewhat to get the tire straps to fit.

Good luck.
penskeLC.JPG

Hahaha, nice, but wouldn't the insurance be pointless...a police report would show what you had and then they would still turn around and take you to court. But yea, I am thinking the same thing hahaha.

But this is my question...ok, a trailer has bracks, but only if you pre-wire you tow rig with e-brakes. It's on my to do list. But I ask this, why does everyone suggest to get a dolly instead of a flat tow. I towed a jeep wrangler (4800ish punds plus a 1500lb trailer....so that added together is more then a land cruiser I would figure) with no problems. Going down hill can be funn, but just switch gears to a lower gear. So is there something I am missing about flat towing?

u-haul's full size trailer weighs 2000lbs by itself. It has hydraulic brakes that are activated when the thing slows down. It's located in the tongue where it attaches to the hitch.

The dolly is a great way to tow. I haven't towed anything as heavy as a 60 series, but if you've got the vehicle to pull it with, i don't think you'll have a problem. The last thing i towed with a dolly from uhaul was a 1961 buick. Uhaul kept telling me that it was too wide to tow with the dolly. They were confusing it with a later model buick, and it was actually narrower than the grand cherokee. Then they were saying my grand cherokee didn't have the pulling capacity for it, but it actually did. So the car only weighed 2500lbs, 200-300lbs for the dolly, and that's less than the 3200lb grand cherokee, which makes it ok to tow. Basic rule of thumb for anything less than a full size truck is that if what you're towing (including the trailer) weighs more than the towing vehicle, then it's not recommended (no brakes basically).

I'd say try the dolly as long as you've got something good to pull it with.

i know its old but...

I towed my 60 about 35 miles on one of the uhaul trailers with my 85 chevy lwb p/u. kinda scary seeing as how the 60 and the trailer combined weighed more than the truck i was towing it with... but i took it really slow and it was late at night and did ok.... but yea like said before rule of thumb dont tow something heavier than what you are pulling it with. it has bad news all over it. i only did it because it was an emerengcy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom