Doing BEB's, opinions wanted. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing BEB's today and saw what appears to be some major heat marks on the back of one of my bearings. Can even see it a bit on the cap. Thoughts?
20201219_114430.jpg
20201219_114351.jpg

Just still have the dash gauge so nothing real definitive. Nothing alarming at all looking at that. But maybe I should get something more accurate in the cockpit.

To expand this is the only bearing with any sign of excessive heating. Was the 4th piston back I think from the front. 190k km's on these bearings.

Can you take a picture of the shell to crankshaft journal contact surface (inner side of the shell).
To have heat, must come from friction...any sign on journal?

The shell seem in great condition. Lots of heat deteriorate "melt" the anti-fricrion (antimoine) material. Hum? Can it be something before an ovehaul, historic?

Got it all backed together and everything's good. Overall a solid job. Most of the bearings didn't look awful. One of them was definitely on its way though as you can see below.
20201219_120836.jpg

Something else occured to me that could cause the hot spot on the bearing is that the crank is slightly out of alignment at #4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom