Dogs of MUD! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old dog, he's Doin' all right for 87*F in the shade of an old Land Cruiser

OL DOG OLCRUISER.jpg

Patina eh.

How do your dogs react to loud noises?
We have one that seems to love gunfire, fireworks and even thunder while another one is ambivalent. Our other dog will go hide under the bed.

How do your dogs react to loud noises?
We have one that seems to love gunfire, fireworks and even thunder while another one is ambivalent. Our other dog will go hide under the bed
I think it all boils down to what they associate with those sounds with. Ruger hated the sight of guns and even water when I first got him (year old), but now you can’t keep him out of water and if I grab a .22, he thinks it means he gets to play with a dead squirrel for the next 30 minutes. It took a lot of patience and time to get him there though.

He still hates fireworks thoug, and if I start yelling at myself in the middle of a project out of frustration, he always cowers behind Emily like he’s about to endure punishment. Always makes me wonder what he went through with the previous owners.

I think it all boils down to what they associate with those sounds with. Ruger hated the sight of guns and even water when I first got him (year old), but now you can’t keep him out of water and if I grab a .22, he thinks it means he gets to play with a dead squirrel for the next 30 minutes. It took a lot of patience and time to get him there though.

He still hates fireworks thoug, and if I start yelling at myself in the middle of a project out of frustration, he always cowers behind Emily like he’s about to endure punishment. Always makes me wonder what he went through with the previous owners.
All 3 of ours are adopted shelter dogs and none were puppies when we got them so we can only imagine what they endured previously. None of them like raised voices.

I've talked to some trainers and they cautioned about attributing adopted dog fear to specific cause.

Shelter, or adopted dogs tend to be fearful by nature, and will develop fears independent of prior owners/past experience.

Bearded men, people with hats, loud noises and even empty grocery bags blowing across the lawn are seen as radical change by dogs, and shelter dogs see change as threatening. (For good reason)

Though I'm not sure of this myself, as sometimes the fear is over specific. For instance, I have a female friend whose adopted dog was ok with me until I enter the kitchen when she is there. Then the dog starts hyperactive circling/urinating/etc.. I gotta think her dog associated men and women alone in the kitchen as a Bad Thing, ie - domestic abuse happens a lot in that room of a house.

Also, my dog has obviously been disciplined with a spray bottle. She is cool with me putting anything in my hands or carrying it around, but if I touch a spray bottle, she loses her stuff completely.

Speaking of fear in dogs; Lela has a fear of statues, and toys with eyes. Every toy she's ever encountered, she'll tear its eyes out, and will face it into the corner, so it isn't "looking" at her. This morning a car with eyes and teeth affixed to it's grill came down the road and she completely lost it.

Sassy hanging out with me while I get the Cruiser ready for SAS
1658328946039.png

We are at SAS and sassy is having a great time.
We were exploring old mines and found this incredible alpine meadow full of gorgeous wildflowers Sassy was loving it

E4EAD831-0318-45D9-9AE3-BA4303E57C57.jpeg

How do you like the savute drawer system? Look doggo approved.

How do you like the savute drawer system? Look doggo approved.
The quality far exceeds when compared to other mfg that other 80 owners' has. The fit is solid and tight. It slides with authority and very stable at full draw.
The price reflects that build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom