Dog Proofing the GX (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if you are looking for pet barriers as well but KAON sells a nice one. Remember AUD pricing so much lower...$1AUD = $0.65 USD

I like it. I'm looking at the Raingler nets, but I'm not sure if I want to get the one that goes behind the first row or the second row.

Do they have chem-suits for dogs?
Or maybe a clean room bunny suit??? :D
I like the barrier for when they are wet/muddy, but the majority of the time I default to the “heck with it” method. Fighting a losing battle anyway

05279B9C-1F22-4EA6-A9DB-07B074AF9355.jpeg

I like the barrier for when they are wet/muddy, but the majority of the time I default to the “heck with it” method. Fighting a losing battle anyway

View attachment 2318457

Exactly. Mine are either in the cargo area with the second row folded flat as well or they are in the back seat in a hammock cover. With three Dobermans I've learned to let go and just deal with the hair and slobber after the fact. At least the covers keep the seats and seat backs clean and odor free.

Better late than never

Here's two intermediates, one intermediate and one large, and two larges. Only fit issue is that the second row can't be all the way back and reclined with the larges. Passenger side needs a little extra space or the trim on the barn door can catch the top right corner of the crate. I think a big part of that is the slope of the cargo floor, if you're planning on pulling the third row and going with a flat floor I don't think you'd need to worry about how the second row seats are positioned at all.

IMG_20200525_142740.jpg
IMG_20200525_142846.jpg
IMG_20200525_143024.jpg

This is awesome! Thanks for the pictures. What kind of dogs are you transporting? How do you like the crates? Does the AC get back there to keep them cool? I'm hoping the two intermediates would be big enough and allow for a tent on the side, with the second row down. "Something like a Kodiak Canvas" Two larges looks like you'd be screwed. I bet you could get the Victory 4x4 molle panels and have a shelf fabbed up, connecting the two to get some storage back.

This is awesome! Thanks for the pictures. What kind of dogs are you transporting? How do you like the crates? Does the AC get back there to keep them cool? I'm hoping the two intermediates would be big enough and allow for a tent on the side, with the second row down. "Something like a Kodiak Canvas" Two larges looks like you'd be screwed. I bet you could get the Victory 4x4 molle panels and have a shelf fabbed up, connecting the two to get some storage back.

They're for a couple cattledog mixes, each about 50ish pounds. I'm sure kennel sizing can be debated about as long as religion or politics and I really don't know much about it. The GX, the dogs, and the crates all belong to my girlfriend and they're what she thought was best. They're nice crates, but you definitely pay for em. One thing I really appreciate is that they don't rattle at all. The dogs seem to stay plenty cool back there, even the one that runs a little warm since she her coat is pretty husky-like. The crates have threaded inserts in a bunch of places for stuff like tie-down hooks and handles and bars to connect two crates together, so it'd be easy to attach stuff like cargo panels or platforms.

Ruffland has a bunch of options for stuff like side doors or two doors. They also have a slantback shape they call "SUV style." I bet that would let you have two larges without worrying at all about what the second row seat is doing.

They're for a couple cattledog mixes, each about 50ish pounds. I'm sure kennel sizing can be debated about as long as religion or politics and I really don't know much about it. The GX, the dogs, and the crates all belong to my girlfriend and they're what she thought was best. They're nice crates, but you definitely pay for em. One thing I really appreciate is that they don't rattle at all. The dogs seem to stay plenty cool back there, even the one that runs a little warm since she her coat is pretty husky-like. The crates have threaded inserts in a bunch of places for stuff like tie-down hooks and handles and bars to connect two crates together, so it'd be easy to attach stuff like cargo panels or platforms.

Ruffland has a bunch of options for stuff like side doors or two doors. They also have a slantback shape they call "SUV style." I bet that would let you have two larges without worrying at all about what the second row seat is doing.

Exactly what I was going to ask and thanks so much for posting as I am going through this decision right now. I am trying to fit 2 Ruffland larges side-by-side in the rear cargo area of the GX. When you took the photo with the 2 larges, did the second row have to be folded down? Trying to do the geometry to determine whether the SUV slant will fit, but I am pedantic and probably need CAD files to make me happy. Hey if I am spending 600 bucks on kennels I am allowed to ask questions like how big they are right?! Surprised they don't have more dimensions online.

If I come to a conclusion on the 2 SUV slant larges in the rear area, I will post here.

Thank you!

Exactly what I was going to ask and thanks so much for posting as I am going through this decision right now. I am trying to fit 2 Ruffland larges side-by-side in the rear cargo area of the GX. When you took the photo with the 2 larges, did the second row have to be folded down? Trying to do the geometry to determine whether the SUV slant will fit, but I am pedantic and probably need CAD files to make me happy. Hey if I am spending 600 bucks on kennels I am allowed to ask questions like how big they are right?! Surprised they don't have more dimensions online.

If I come to a conclusion on the 2 SUV slant larges in the rear area, I will post here.

Thank you!

Second row didn't have to be folded, but they had to be rolled forward a 2-3 clicks. You may only need to roll them forward one click or no clicks if you have the seatbacks more upright. I'd bet money that with the SUV slant you'd be able to push them forward more than a few inches and be 100% fine on rear door clearance.

Well, I went a different way. I went with TransK9 kennels to protect my babies. We did a trip to the mountains 2 weeks ago and the seatbelt harnesses tethered to the floor looked uncomfortable, and while they wouldn’t have flown across the car, the harnesses weren’t really designed to be used this way. I thought about racing harnesses, and them breaking backs if they weren’t attached to a horizontal bar rather than the floor.

I’m planning on mammoth trips this winter, and moving to Texas next year, which will require a long road trip. This should do nicely. So far no noises driving around, and the quality looks awesome. Ratchet straps will be coming tomorrow.

Once someone comes up with a reasonably priced plate system I’ll pull the third row, take out the shelf, and drop in a drawer system.
47B8A67E-C912-4749-B46B-E0BA4B21718B.jpeg

ACA72874-C64C-4369-8ADB-6002DAEE1C85.jpeg

4DF8A9AB-C962-4C5B-82CC-B311AABCC960.jpeg

Crash tested and an escape hatch should the other side be inoperable.
8EFE9AAC-A403-43E6-8AC8-ABEF23CE95AF.jpeg

Looks great!

Well, I went a different way. I went with TransK9 kennels to protect my babies. We did a trip to the mountains 2 weeks ago and the seatbelt harnesses tethered to the floor looked uncomfortable, and while they wouldn’t have flown across the car, the harnesses weren’t really designed to be used this way. I thought about racing harnesses, and them breaking backs if they weren’t attached to a horizontal bar rather than the floor.

I’m planning on mammoth trips this winter, and moving to Texas next year, which will require a long road trip. This should do nicely. So far no noises driving around, and the quality looks awesome. Ratchet straps will be coming tomorrow.

Once someone comes up with a reasonably priced plate system I’ll pull the third row, take out the shelf, and drop in a drawer system.

That's a serious setup! I bet the shelf (Kaon?) is nice with most of the cargo area used up.

I've been looking into solutions for taking out the third row lately. I had seen the Goose Gear piece and assumed there was some weird geometry and support underneath based on the price. I did some more digging and found that it's not complicated at all. A couple sheets of good plywood (probably baltic birch), some 2x1s, and a way to fasten it all down is all it should take. I'm also not a fan of bedliner in the back of an SUV, so that lets you choose your own finish. We'll probably go the DIY route sometime, maybe with a shallow drawer.

That's a serious setup! I bet the shelf (Kaon?) is nice with most of the cargo area used up.

I've been looking into solutions for taking out the third row lately. I had seen the Goose Gear piece and assumed there was some weird geometry and support underneath based on the price. I did some more digging and found that it's not complicated at all. A couple sheets of good plywood (probably baltic birch), some 2x1s, and a way to fasten it all down is all it should take. I'm also not a fan of bedliner in the back of an SUV, so that lets you choose your own finish. We'll probably go the DIY route sometime, maybe with a shallow drawer.
Haha yes it is. We take the safety of our “kids” seriously. The shelf will come in handy for a couple of packs and emergency gear. I need to get a few small bungees to keep everything secured.

No weird geometry, GooseGear is just expensive. People pay it, so more power to them. Sherpa has a reasonably priced plate for the 470, and I’ve been bugging them every chance I get to do the same for the 460. Once that’s done it’s Truckvault time like Washingtontaco.

Last edited:
Someone else has or is working on a plate system for the 460 as well. I keep teasing the idea of the Goose Gear plate but I haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger on it yet, $600 after tax and freight is kinda crazy.

Here is a little DIY third row removal inspiration.... see #7 for start of pictures and detail. Will add picture of Bernese Mtn Dog travel partner in future...

Just don't stop short!!! o_O

Just don't stop short!!! o_O
Jk, of course. He’s just taking a break while watching me chop wood up at our cabin. I’m lacking my 4wheeler and trailer at the moment, so am using the gx to haul the firewood a couple hundred yards back to the house.

Here is a little DIY third row removal inspiration.... see #7 for start of pictures and detail. Will add picture of Bernese Mtn Dog travel partner in future...

I'm sure saving a few inches to jump up into will be appreciated if you're not doing drawers. This guy (lives with parents) doesn't like to do much jumping.

IMG_20160606_175008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom