Dog parks?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was dwondering what you all think of dog parks.
Our last mastiff we took to the dog park for socialization and training purposes and he liked going and playing w/ other dogs.
With wrigley, 7 mo. Old mastiff pup, he to loves to go and play, but...
Last night, there was a nasty dog that CLEARLY did NOT get along w/ other dogs as it bit almost every dog that came near it, my dog included!!
Again, he's only 7 mos. old and a puppy.
I'm just wondering if it's worth the risk. I like the socialization aspect, but...

Just wondering what the general opinion is on this.

It's never a good feeling when another dog is aggressive with yours but dont give dogs human attributes. Dogs is dogs. Unless there's torn hide and meat or crushed leg bone don't you think it's more of a mean dog pinch?

I think dog parks are cool for socializing but I have other options.

I've logged a lot of hours in off leash dog parks with my now 6 year old dog, when it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it gives you a sick feeling and really makes you question whether it's worth it. There are a lot of clueless dog owners who have dogs that should clearly be on leash until they get properly socialized, or have zero control over their dog and have no business letting it off leash in the 1st place. Running into these types leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but if you're on your game and have control over your own dog, you can identify and avoid them for the most part.

IanB said:
I've logged a lot of hours in off leash dog parks with my now 6 year old dog, when it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it gives you a sick feeling and really makes you question whether it's worth it. There are a lot of clueless dog owners who have dogs that should clearly be on leash until they get properly socialized, or have zero control over their dog and have no business letting it off leash in the 1st place. Running into these types leaves a bad taste in your mouth, but if you're on your game and have control over your own dog, you can identify and avoid them for the most part.

Yeah. That's a good point.
Part of the reason weve taken them there is for the training and socialization and furthering the recall training with those kinds of destractions Wrigley is still very much a puppy and doesn't quite get how to play w/ the older dogs who do not tolerate eager puppies wanting to play.
However... You're right. The owners need to recognize if their dog is a menace.
I'm thinking that it might be best to get him together w/ other dogs and owners we KNOW and not deal w/ the obliviousness of some owners and their dogs.

Although one of the "meanest" dogs we know belongs to people we know who have tried just about everything to make the dog more social. I think some dogs are just difficult and not really meant for group play situations.

More space is usually good too, so look for a dog park that isn't too crowded.

Good luck. In the end your dog is going to be the "big dog" in these situations and good social skills will be needed.

Dog owners are like parents. Very few will see the flaws in their own dogs, and so you just need to avoid them.

I've never been a fan of the dog parks just because there's too many unknowns. I don't know if a person has vaccinated their dog, done any socialization prior to their current experience, or any number of things.
Plus being a pit-bull owner I don't really enjoy how my dog sets all the owners on edge. It's better that I take her to the beach and enjoy a little more freedom there.

Although one of the "meanest" dogs we know belongs to people we know who have tried just about everything to make the dog more social. I think some dogs are just difficult and not really meant for group play situations.

More space is usually good too, so look for a dog park that isn't too crowded.

Good luck. In the end your dog is going to be the "big dog" in these situations and good social skills will be needed.

Dog owners are like parents. Very few will see the flaws in their own dogs, and so you just need to avoid them.

LOL..yeup!
He IS our KID!
That is part of the reason that Im posting this here is because Im concerned that were being to paranoid and over protective.
I agree with the statement made above re. "dogs being dogs" too though. But...I just dont want our boy to get MAULED either in an off leash park where he is supposed to be having fun.
He really likes to play with the other dogs.

Depends on the park. In the midwest, I could find dog parks that consisted of 10+ acres all fenced in and those are totally worth it. Dogs are not forced onto each other but have that option... there is room for everyone. My dog prefers open spaces to run and 'hunt' rather than just wrestling with other dogs, though every now and then he finds a dog that he just really clicks with.

Since I've moved to California I HATE dog parks. The parks are teeny tiny and too many of the animals are poorly socialized with idiot owners. I have an intact Irish Setter and dogs just really seem to have "little man syndrome" about this in California. They act aggressively or obsessively dominant toward him in these small parks and though my dog doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, there is only so much harassing he will take before he's had it and sets to humping that dog.

Sure, dogs will be dogs and we shouldn't humanize them about a nibble, but at dog parks you have several dogs and nibbles quickly escalate into pack mentality craziness and all-out fighting with the wrong animals. No dog with aggressive tendencies should be a at an off-leash dog park. Period. Owners should be responsible for their dogs and remove them when appropriate. Period.

The whole dog park thing ..... I dunno. Kinda like taking the kid to Chucky Cheese. You want your kid to make friends, not get bullied or have his quarters stolen. You worry. But wouldn't it be better time spent having a quality time one on one?

Same with my dogs and I have a mini-pack. I'm not going to a dog park because I'm going to be that a-hole that shows up with four dogs and people get tense....and then the dogs get tense. My quality time is me
And the dogs with minimum distraction. Biting is what they do. They don't have appendages and socialize like we do.

Aren't parks for people and weedy fields with bunnies for dogs?

I wish I'd thought of this before!

Talk to your Vet about Parvo and ? Dogs pass it along through feces and a young dog still receiving immunization shot may be susceptible. If I recall correctly we're talking up to 18mo. .

When I lived in Los Angeles in the 1980s and 1990s I practically lived at the Laural Canyon Dog Park and my Alaskan Malamute was the better for it. We both benefited from the socialization.

That park had quite a range of visitors from movie stars to gang bangers. Most everyone and every dog got along. The usual LA social snobbery was abated.

There were very few fights and the dogs got a long, too.:D

So, yes, dog parks can be a great place.

dog parks are great for diseases, in Calgary they had nice big parks with lots of trees and running water, the dogs enjoyed it.
here, the dog parks are a joke, no trees, no water, lots of poop on the ground. but. we have a "dog beach" where dogs are allowed off leash. the people that attend seem to respect the "pick up the poop" rule and since there is trees, the lake and good people we enjoy taking our dogs there.

dog parks can be great for socialization but common sense has to come into play.

my big guy is usually pretty friendly but can fight if the need arises.

we had one lady with a big mixed breed that was off leash, my dog was on leash since he was injured and i didn't want him running too much. her dog started to bully (play rough) with mine till Cruiser let loose with a growl, the lady complained that my dog was a "mean dog" and shouldn't be at the park.
i just told her that my dog is on the leash and hers should be too ... i know people look at their dogs as kids (i do) but some people need to learn to read the signs and deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom