Dog keeps chewing on A/C wires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Other than shooting it, how can I keep one of my dogs from chewing on the AC (condenser) wires? I wished the 24V going to the condenser would have zapped the dog, but I guess it hasn't yet. I tried sprinkling some cayenne pepper the last time they chewed on it and it worked for a week. Today when I got home, the house was not cool and sure enough, the wires were chewed apart.:mad:

Any suggestions?

TIA,
ML

Wrap the 24v wire in unterminated 240V AC service.

Problem solved.

Watch your pup? Crate?

conduit, leash, fence, gate, gun, whatever...

X2 on crate, or some other means of physically keeping him away from it.

There's something about petrochem based insulations that make them attractive to some animals that like to gnaw on stuff. For example... a high density polyethylene duct in the woods here will get chewed up by the local bears. A cable laying out on the ground will probably get a bear visit, too. They're less inclined to gnaw on steel though. Don't know why.

I'd try putting that in EMT or maybe even steel or aluminum flex. GRC would be the only clear solution though.

Flexible conduit

Setup one of those invisible perimeter pen things to keep him away from the AC unit?

Cayenne pepper = extra spicy chew toy. Put something more nasty on it, antiseptic or something numbing maybe.

Housing those conductors is really the only sure bet. You may also try wrapping it in a hard steel wire(enough wraps for the teeth not to penetrate) and then when he goes to bite down on it, it'll hurt his teeth. Another method is to put a huge(enough to not swallow) chunk of the SAME wire(brand and # of conductors:meh:) into his mouth and wrap his muzzle w/ an ace bandage/duck tape. Make him taste the wire ALL afternoon/or evening, and don't allow him to get it out till YOU"RE ready. He'll get bored of having it in his mouth and before too long, won't want to have anything to do w/ it.

Of course, you could also let him enjoy that A/C, and stop this problem before it starts. Then he won't be trying to sabotage your comfort!

Wrap it in foam insulation, then soak it in tabasco or habanero sauce.

You could also block off his access to the wires. Some kind of impediment or perhaps a removable cover...

Due for a birf job? Bet some of that old grease would do the trick..

Now we're getting somewhere!:cheers:

You could build a little fenced area for the condenser like this and run an electrified wire around the bottom of it.

gargagepailprivacy3.jpg

Thanks All,

I ended up putting a wire 'basket' around the wires. two days later, it is still working...

You could build a little fenced area for the condenser like this and run an electrified wire around the bottom of it.

gargagepailprivacy3.jpg

David, I really like this idea but my condenser sits on 10 x 20 concrete slab against the house so I cannot dig for the posts.

Thanks All,

I ended up putting a wire 'basket' around the wires. two days later, it is still working...

David, I really like this idea but my condenser sits on 10 x 20 concrete slab against the house so I cannot dig for the posts.

:meh: Just make a box that goes over it and sink some bolts to attach it to the slab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom