Dog harness question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to see if anybody knows where you can pickup a safety lead that you could run between a prong collar and a harness? Had an issue where we were on a walk with my pup and a dog got loose and came at her. She stands between me and the super aggressive wiener dog, however after 3 lunges by the small dog, and me keeping pressure on the collar to keep her head up, prong collar breaks and all hell breaks loose. Wiener dog takes off with our Shepherd behind it and she chases it into the garage of the owner. I need to replace the prong collar and am looking for the safety lead to run from the prong to the vest. Never have I had an issue with her like this and It sucks because the other dog was being aggressive and running loose. Just want to make sure nothing like this happens again, especially if my kids were walking her. Pics of her when my kids brought her to the station over the summer.

Chilling in the kitchen waiting for some chow!

Scout 1.jpg

Sitting in the Rescue Engine waiting for a run!

Scout 2.jpg

Thanks for any help and didn't realize I didn't have any pics of her sitting in the cruiser on my phone!

Try a gentile lead. Goes around the nose and head, no choking and easy control.

She's a pretty dog.

Gentle leaders are good. Make certain you use them correctly. They come with a video that shows you how.

I have used prongs for training, and sometimes for walking a young headstrong dog, but they can fail. I had one dog stop, sit down and start scratching his neck with his hind foot, and the collar simply fell off! After that I always clipped the leash to both the prong and his regular collar. I've never used a harness, except with one old dog who had disc issues in his neck. With a young dog, I feel like a harness just enables him to pull harder, like a sled dog.

She's a pretty dog.

Gentle leaders are good. Make certain you use them correctly. They come with a video that shows you how.

I have used prongs for training, and sometimes for walking a young headstrong dog, but they can fail. I had one dog stop, sit down and start scratching his neck with his hind foot, and the collar simply fell off! After that I always clipped the leash to both the prong and his regular collar. I've never used a harness, except with one old dog who had disc issues in his neck. With a young dog, I feel like a harness just enables him to pull harder, like a sled dog.

She is a great dog. Just over a year old and one of the best dogs I've ever got to be around. These are good points but I have figured out on how I need to set it up, but to clarify. My daughter is working with the dog and moving towards Schutzhund where the prong is essential. The dog wouldn't need anything more than a flat caller as she walks in a heel position without pulling. This was simply a fluke deal where she was in protection mode against an agressor (funny saying that about a weiner dog!!) and when I pulled the collar broke. I found that it's as easy as running a Carabiner between the prong and the harness. If the prong would break, the harness then becomes the safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom