Dog Crate in the Back of a 100-series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trout Cruiser

...out chasing brookies.
Threads
For those that have a 100-series, and have searched for information on installing a vehicle dog crate in the back of their cruiser, I’d like to share my discovery.

The issue I’ve found with most Gunner, Orion, etc. crates is that in order to utilize the second row of the vehicle, you have to either turn your crate sideways or use a smaller crate. This is due to the limited depth in the 100-series. With a growing 51-pound Italian Spinone, I was challenged to find a suitable crate. Additionally, living in Georgia, USA meant constantly warm-to-hot temperatures.

Our cruisers are blessed with a 12-volt accessory plug on the driver’s side rear cargo panel. I have finally found the perfect crate solution… Ruff Land Kennels, size large, double-door (front and right) vehicle crate. Additionally, they (actually they partnered with Prarie Logic) have a fan designed to mount directly to the crate door (you’ll see why the double-door crate is necessary).

By turning the crate sideways, and utilizing the “right side” door as the main entry point for your dog, you’re able to mount the fan and utilize the driver’s side accessory plug for the crate.

The size large crate easily fits a 70-lb dog, although your pet’s measurements may be different.

I e attached a few photos as reference, but wanted to offer a little bit of help on a subject I failed to find much on when searched on this forum.

Have a great day!
Brooks
38405CC5-7F82-441E-AEC3-BE18AE9748AA.jpeg
4F740211-F4CC-4BD3-B3A2-0CA74D57DB0C.jpeg
EC9F3DB6-3646-4947-816E-E5838E230E22.jpeg

At Air Down Gear Up, we were working with a customer a while back to fit two 'full size' kennels into a 100. I'm not 100% sure of the exact dimensions of these particular crates, but the challenge we had was the width between the wheel wells wasn't enough. We used a very low height version of our platform to get the bases of the crates above the wheel wells, and there was juuuust enough vertical height remaining to clear the crates. Our standard top-mounted drings allowed a strap to be run over top of the crates to secure them in place.

Pictured is just a single crate, but the customer ran two of the same crates. (we've also since done away with turnbuckles for the mounts on a 100!)

20220708_100121.jpg

20220708_100126.jpg

Limited depth? I run a 36”L Vari (Ruffland Large is 35”) in my 100 everyday with the door facing the tailgate with room to spare and sometimes a 3rd row seat. Two 36” Varis will sit side by side without the 3rd row seats. Is that a 40” XL size? I’ve moved 60-70lb labs for years in 36” kennels. An XL will fit two labs in a pinch. Most Deerskin,Ainsley, etc pro grade trailers are 34-36” if I recall correctly.

I want a side-entry Ruffland for my Jeep.

Very cool.
Wish someone still made cargo barriers for LC100. Currently welding my own up in order to secure the fur missle back there.
I have a 100 series-specific Milford barrier that’s never been used if anyone is interested…I ended up using a Raingler net instead.

I have a 100 series-specific Milford barrier that’s never been used if anyone is interested…I ended up using a Raingler net instead.

I'm very interested, can you shoot me a PM with pictures? I'm in Atlanta, so shipping (freight) would be required.

I'm very interested, can you shoot me a PM with pictures? I'm in Atlanta, so shipping (freight) would be required.
Here is what it looks like in a 100:
Milford Cargo Barrier Write-up - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/milford-cargo-barrier-write-up.224998/post-3376543

It’s still in the original box in my garage, has never been mounted, but I can pull it out and take photos for you.

To my knowledge the Milford barrier can no longer be obtained in North America.

At Air Down Gear Up, we were working with a customer a while back to fit two 'full size' kennels into a 100. I'm not 100% sure of the exact dimensions of these particular crates, but the challenge we had was the width between the wheel wells wasn't enough. We used a very low height version of our platform to get the bases of the crates above the wheel wells, and there was juuuust enough vertical height remaining to clear the crates. Our standard top-mounted drings allowed a strap to be run over top of the crates to secure them in place.

Pictured is just a single crate, but the customer ran two of the same crates. (we've also since done away with turnbuckles for the mounts on a 100!)

View attachment 3295435

View attachment 3295429

And wow it had cloth seats! Poverty Pack 100 FTW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom