Doetsch Tech 8000 ?

You all have convinced me on the Doetsch Tech 8000 for the 40 - almost....(part # 8163 / 8265)

Some have said that the 3000's are way to soft....I run dirt roads the majority of the time because I live way out...

In all your expert opinions - would the soft 3000's be better for dirt roads or are you talking soft for rocks?

Summit never seems to have them in stock - so I plan on buying from Downey - I hope everyone has had good buying experiences from them

I am still open to suggestions - do not like Rancho 5000 - can not afford OME - have Rancho 9000's on my 60 and love em - but I think it is overkill on my 40...

And yes - did the search read for hours - still curious :beer:

PabloCruise

SILVER Star

Dog,

Downey will bend you over to the tune of $52 each on these. Summit will pull them for $37 all day long and drop ship 'em direct from Doetsch... Just an FYI.

I will be ordering 8000's this week! I guess the 3000's are good for crawling, but too sloppy at speed? We'll have to hear from everyone else.

I bought Downey springs, and think they do o-k at some things. But they pissed me off on the freight quote for my springs, CA to CO. They quoted me $37-47. Fine. Actual shipping? ~$79. Not cool. For shocks, I'd go Summit. Or, if you want to pay $52/each, buy direct from Doetsch! Their website is down, but call 1-800-8-SHOCKS

HTH,

Thanks Pablo -

I will call in the morning! Did not know that I could buy direct -

I also found em at Fly-n-Hi - but it is AZ based so I have to pay tax - and I hate paying tax.

Cool!

$79 - not cool Downey! Guess I will steer away from them.....

PabloCruise

SILVER Star

freightdog said:
Thanks Pablo -

$79 - not cool Downey! Guess I will steer away from them.....
I think they do their homework on a lot of their products, and have good stuff.

I was disappointed with the shipping.

The funny thing is, that if you read their catalog, you learn a lot, but you also come away feeling that it is either the Downey way or the dumb$hit way...

Last time I took a marketing course, it was kind of frowned upon to belittle your customers. I guess some industries can get away with it. I think their catalog COULD be an excellent source of knowledge w/out being condescending.

60wag

SILVER Star

If you know what size/model you need, order them directly from Doetsch -look up their web site. I think its Doetschtech.com. I've got them on my 60, so far so good.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."

Hi All:

Not to steal this thread, but anyone have part number suggestions for the model of either the Doetsch Tech 3000 or 8000 shocks that would be apportiate for a FJ40, SUA, wherein one wants to limit uptravel while emphasizing droop travel?

What is the difference between the 300 and 8000 model shocks??

Thanks!

Alan
Seattle

PabloCruise

SILVER Star

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

Not to steal this thread, but anyone have part number suggestions for the model of either the Doetsch Tech 3000 or 8000 shocks that would be apportiate for a FJ40, SUA, wherein one wants to limit uptravel while emphasizing droop travel?

What is the difference between the 300 and 8000 model shocks??

Thanks!

Alan
Seattle
The search function will get you far man...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=38002

Measure your droop and stuffed lengths and then buy the correct size!

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

What is the difference between the 3000 and 8000 model shocks??

Thanks!

Alan
Seattle
I am looking at the 8163 for front and 8265 for rear - I have about a two inch lift in the 3000 series just substitute a 3 for the 8 - hence 3163 / 3265......

Another good chart can be found at - http://www.fly-n-hi.com/dtschprts.htm

Jeff

PabloCruise

SILVER Star

dieselcruiserhead said:
Even the 8000 are pretty soft but are good shocks I think. Mine rode like a caddilac over the roughest roads with the 8000s so you will be fine... :)
Good to know Andre! I'll be ordering mine up today!

dieselcruiserhead said:
Even the 8000 are pretty soft but are good shocks I think. Mine rode like a caddilac over the roughest roads with the 8000s so you will be fine... :)
Thanks - that clinches the 8000's for me!

Pablo - what price? Where? and how long of a wait?

Jeff

Another stupid question Pablo -

Did you order the same shocks front and rear -

the 8163 for the front are 21 extended / 13 collapsed
the 8265 for the back are 24 extended / 14 collapsed....

how close were your front and rear?

PabloCruise

SILVER Star

freightdog said:
Another stupid question Pablo -

Did you order the same shocks front and rear -

the 8163 for the front are 21 extended / 13 collapsed
the 8265 for the back are 24 extended / 14 collapsed....

how close were your front and rear?
Not stupid mate...

First, my 40 mods are 4 inch lift, longer wheelbase, F250 mounts (read more here )

So my rear staic height was 22 inches and front is going to be ~18.

I ordered around these #'s figuring most I would possibly get would be 8 inches droop and 5 inches of compression...

So I did 8333 fronts and 8403 for the rear.

I believe the great Wooden One has written a little bit about sizing shocks, IIRC, he had a proportion btwn Stuffed and Sagged that worked for him...

HTH,

Roger that -

Ordered mine too!

8265 - gives 24/14 - which should be close enough....

Should be here on Friday!

Thanks Pablo -

I ordered Water Wetter - too = best stuff to run in the summer in the radiator.

No problem guys. I sold them and ordered the stiffest shocks available, nitrigen charged Pro Comp 9000s mostly to compensate for a problem: my springs were too soft. Now that I have actually corrected the problem, I am thinking maybe I should go back to the 8000's. Pro Comps sure are stable though but they really bounce around over the stiffest thing. Like having your ranchos cranked up all the way... :(

I guess when the PO put Gabriel shocks on - he was thinking they would give an angelic ride!

I can not wait till Friday when the new shocks come and I rip off the s*** - and put the new ones on!

At least the Gabriel are yellow - two people thought they were EMU!

Top Bottom