Does your FJ55 Geartrain Whine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I get my 55 on the road, I realize I've never ridden in a stock version so I have no reference for stock sounds of a 50-year old drivetrain.

My 55 has a gear-related whine induced by pressure/torque. It exists during acceleration and modulates up and down depending on throttle. The same occurs with deceleration. It's not horrific but it can range near annoying. It's not a grinding or binding sound, just a drivetrain droning sound.

I'm not sure whether to think this is normal or a function of something I did or didn't do properly when rebuilding the transfer case. I have a standard 3-speed case bolted with Advance Adapter components to my GM 4L60. I use standard 90W oil.

I appreciate your thoughts.

I think you are supposed to rebuild t-cases every so often and check the tolerances at a thrust washer on the idler shaft.

I can tell you the only time I dig into a 40/55 t-case is when the seal goes btwn t-case and tranny.

I think the gear noise reminiscent of a school bus is normal...

From when I asked in 2009

the man himself explaining it in 2005

My three speed case screams like a banshee. I don't mind it much, but I will be changing it out soon, not because of the whine, but because the case I have is one of the ones that is really brittle and prone to cracking.

Can't hear any noise from my t-case. If there is one, it's out-decibled by the whine from the Ranger overdrive. At least there's a sweet spot at around 70-75mph when everything seems to quiet down. Handy on the interstates even if scraps and I can't stay ahead of Deo.

Thanks for all the feedback. Glad to know they scream like a banshee... that makes me feel better. I may keep my eyes open for a split case and see what parts I need to swap with the AA adapter to the L460e.

The over drive gears in my split case will let me know 90MPH with a high pitch whine keeping me out of trouble on long drives.
Meant to post this here rather than the Target Carrier thread...

Think I already posted a pic somewhere of my speedo showing an indicated 82mph about the time Deo blew by us. Adjusted for the rubber overdrive with my 33s, that means right at 90mph. Likely hearing more noise from the stuff on the rack and the rooftop tent at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom