1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Your Employer Have A Sick Leave Policy?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Doc, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Mine doesn't.

We battle, seriously- not an exaggeration, people who take 30 sick days a year. We have two of those individuals in my department (of 14 people).

I personally have less than 1/10th that number. But the fact that these two individuals get away with this kind of abuse makes me want to 'be sick' more often. I mean, it's like they get an extra 6 weeks of vacation every year! On top of that, they still use their 15 vacation days....

It's demoralizing for the department and talking with management has not helped as of yet.

Just bringing it up because I didn't feel all that great this morning, but I'm here anyway.

2. Jman

Jman

That's wack. Time to institute doctors' notes. . . . .

3. MaddMatt

MaddMatt

I think that's why most companies have abandoned sick days altogether. My current company, and my previous two, just added 5 days to your vacation time, and called the whole thing PTO, or Personal Time Off. That way it's nobody's business why you aren't there. If you get really sick you have the paid days off to deal, if you don't get sick much you are rewarded with a couple extra vacation days. Otherwise it's way too easy to abuse an open "sick day" program. That's my 2 cents.
    -Matt

4. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    We got that, but you only need one after THREE CONSECUTIVE days sick. Three broken up over a weekend (Thurs, Fri, Mon) does not count. They've already found and exploited that loophole as well.

Do you think it would be suspicious if I was sick two days before my colorado vacation, and two days immediately following it? :) Four extra days in CO baby!

5. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I work for a large corporation...we have policies for EVERYTHING. Keeps the HR people busy...making policies.

Doesn't matter too much though -- all vacation and sick time is rolled up into PTO (paid time off). Use it for sicknesses...or vacation...or whatever...

I don't know the forumula used but it works out to about 100% of typical vacation allowances plus about 70% of what's normally allowed for sick leave. If you're healthy...you get get more vacation time...if you're sick all the time, you start dipping into vacation time.

I didn't like it at first, but it works out well for me. I'm rarely sick.

6. LabRat11

LabRat11

Where I work after 3 days the company asks for a doctors note. I have nothing against the occasional 'mental health' day. I take one or two a year. But 30 - FAWK. Wish I could get away with that - and I have the sick / personal time to burn.

7. 3puttcop

3puttcop

No sick leave here, and work for a large Police dept. with a very strong FOP. We have general leave time; you accumulate 6.08 hrs every two weeks until seniority year-ten when you accumulate 10 hrs every two weeks. You can only accumulate 600 hours, use it or loose it. Use it for vacation of sickness!!! When it comes from an accumulated general leave bank it tends to reduce abuse.

Plus I accrue holidays. This is awesome!!! I work holiday I get time and a half plus the holiday goes into a bank to use at a later date….. If the holiday is a regular scheduled day off, the holiday is still banked and can be used at a later date…and I get 12 holidays to bank.

8. Jman

Jman

We get X days for vacation and X days for "personal" (sick time, funerals, whatever). I always use up my vacation, I almost never use any "personal" time.

9. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

The PTO thing is a bad solution - it punishes the healthy people who follow the rules and does not address the problems. I found that when I worked for a company with the PTO thing - people came in sick so they would not lose a day. They were not productive and it caused other people in the office to get sick. It is a horrible policy. I pointed out the evils of it to our HR person - he wasn't impressed with my argument and did nothing about it. Apparently he didn't think that fighting the HQ folks would get anywhere.

If people are abusing the company they should be fired. People like that are begging for attention. ignoring it makes it worse - morale suffers. the managers need to talk firectly to the abusers and make it clear that they are problems.

10. Biff

Biff

The last company I worked for we had several people like that. One lady abused it so much that we harly saw her, but her work still had to be done. I have tried to convince myself to take a few sicks days here and there but my concious always comes back to haunt me. So I think in the ten years I worked for that company I might have taken two sicks days, and when I was really sick it(sickness) usually kicked in at the start of my vacation.

11. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

The other problem w/ PTO is it's a liability on a publically traded co's books. We used to have it, then switched to undocumented sick days. More than 2 weeks off in a row you are supposed to file for disability.

Bet the split these days w/ PTO or not aligns with publically traded or private co's.

12. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Well, we used have 6 paid sick days. Then my boss became a super ass and took away our sick days, and now we have 3 unpaid. He claims it was abuse by some of the employees, but there are only 6 of us and only one calls in sick more then the rest of us. And she is salaried so it doesnt really matter anyway.

13. mloudy

mloudy

We are private with PTO. Up until last year we had sick days instead of PTO. If you didn't use them you were paid for them at years end. Vacation time was paid also if you didn't use it. The reason we switched to PTO was things like "I skipped lunch so I can leave at 4 to go to the my kids game" and "I worked over yesterday and I got a dentist appoitment today so we are even". Way too much for me to track. So now there is PTO and when you need off for anything you deduct it from your PTO. The truth was that the field techs were often eating lunch and reporting they didn't because they hadn't came in to clock out. I didn't have the time to follow them around either so no more skipping lunches. They was no need for working over time either.

Are these people missing 30 days just taking it without pay?

14. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh, we're salaried too, but don't even get me started on that. We still have to fill in 'time cards'. WTF is the point if were 'salary'?

I'll tell you what... it's because our management doesn't trust the workers and the move to salaried positions was a subversive attempt (and a good one) to quit paying us overtime. We still work the same hours, but now we get to 'donate' time to the company.

Yea!

15. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Currently, all sick leave is taken as PAID time off. You can have as much as you like....

That's why I say it's like giving them an extra six weeks of vacation. It's the same thing.

16. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I used to work for a small camera shop when I was younger. 2 stores and like 6-7 employees. We got 1 paid week each year, and any sick days you had to make up. No paid sick days, ever! Now I work for a mail order company, 2 weeks paid vacation, and about a weeks paid sick time every year. Both roll over. But i'm rarely sick. So I have like 150 hours of sick time available and about 250 vacation hours. And i just used a week of vacation time after recovering from my appendix/ hernia surgery. But for sick time, if it's more than 2 days, gotta have a doctor's note. And I definately gotta start taking more time off.

17. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Not for us, the one employee that is salaried, our boss moved her that way so she would get paid more. She is our "office manager" and cried that she was loosing $$ because she couldnt make it on time because of her kids and she lives 17mi out and blah blah blah. So the boss moved her to salary so she wouldnt loose pay.

18. mloudy

mloudy

Only sales are salary here. They clock in but only if they come into the office in the morning. If they are here at closing they clock out. Lots of field sales reps like to go home real early and take looooooooong lunches. We have had them and they didn't last long. We have no overtime and everyone is out the door at 5:00pm.

19. mloudy

mloudy

That's crazy! You should be mad.

20. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Our contract allows employees 75 sicks days a year .. sorry, but that is simply not enough. I mean I only work 50% of the year on my current schedule, so if I only receive another 2.5 months sick time, then it makes it hard to fit my 30 vacation days onto days I am actually scheduled to work .. 6 months-2.5 months = 3.5 months - 1 month (vac) = 2.5 months! Damn , they expect me to work 2.5 months out of the year!!! That is outrageous .. :crybaby:

TY