Does Wax Build-Up Under 2F Oil Fill Cap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just learned that wax isn't supposed to form in oil - too cold. I can always find some under my oil fill cap, using 10W-40 all-mineral. Obviously, this isn't a performance problem, just a clue to the oil's engineering.

Crude oil contains paraffin, most of which is removed in the fractional distillation process to separate the crude oil into gasoline, jet fuel, diesel, lubricating oils, etc. If the wax bothers you, use a synthetic oil instead of a mineral-based oil.

It tells me that the 2F can protect itself from rust even if it isn't direct flow from the oil pump, as the precipitate of vapors suggest. Just bringing the oil up to regular temps the oil offers protection. Waxing my bicycle chain, and maybe a bit of stuff from the bottle, has saved me quite a bit of measurable wear, so I don't doubt the protection.

My strategy is fresh oil that at least is changed in spring, after doing some winter driving. Cheap and regularly available oil is sourced from a nearby store like a run-down gas station that regularly hosts the more interesting people you probably don't want to meet, within prescribed factory viscosity. After that routine gets boring, I'm happy with changing the oil filter less than once a year, if the miles don't pile up.

The video made me think about the stalled piston rings at the top and bottom stroke, standing in shallow water with skis on.

I'm using a 15/16" socket because the 24mm for the drain plug wasn't conveniently available. And, no way am I using an open-end wrench, like the OEM ones. Open-end wrenches are for when one side cant accommodate a socket, or box-end - what were they thinking? Help.

Crude oil contains paraffin, most of which is removed in the fractional distillation process to separate the crude oil into gasoline, jet fuel, diesel, lubricating oils, etc. If the wax bothers you, use a synthetic oil instead of a mineral-based oil.
Serious west Texas style tech right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom