Does this sound like starter failing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just started the past few days...
Turn the key and I hear some kind of electric motor sound coming from the engine compartment, but its not cranking/turning over.
Sometimes when I back off from full turn on the key (2006 LX470 so it has the auto-hold cranking) then it will crank and fire up.
This happens intermittently, except today at Costco gas I had zero cranking and had to make 3-4 attempts turning the key before it would "crank" to start the car.
Newer battery and alternator, both tested as "good".
143k miles on a SoCal garaged mall queen 2006 LX.

Last edited:
From your description, yes it's the starter. I had the same symptom recently, the starter would spin but wasn't engaging the flywheel. Key off, tried again and was fine. Now have a starter on order.

Often the starter will receive power but not correctly operate the bendix which engages/disengages the flywheel (either spin from not extending all the way, or grind from not retracting all the way)

Don't delay the replacement/repair. I absolutely shredded my starter when it wasn't retracting fully, the toyota techs were worried about pieces in the engine when I took it in to get replaced.

yeah I'm not going to drive it again until I take it to get repaired. I hate getting stranded. Funny thing is, about 3 weeks ago my badass 2004 V8 4Runner 4WD had its ABS booster fail right there at the same costco gas station, again right after gassing up.

I would quit parking there! Make sure whoever does the work cleans very thoroughly before removing the intake manifold. Probably worth you cleaning it before you take it in as well. It's super easy for debris to fall into the cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom