Does this seem reasonable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would be willing to bet a few coins that in the course of 2k miles, the process of opening the pan drain and fill tube to open air there is more contamination happening than what the trans wear put into the fluid. I mean unless you use your 80 to haul mobile homes for a living.

Much cheaper to do it yourself, but also much dirtier.

Better to do a complete fluid exchange
More better to drop and clean the pan first.
Easier to do multiple drain and fills.
Safer to add an inline transmission filter before you start drain and fills
as you do stir up the sediment (proven by serial Blackstone ATF reports)
Never reuse the drain plug crush washer (new washer every time) and never gorilla grip the wrench when tightening the plug.

FWIW

I do appreciate all the thoughtful responses. At another time in my life, I would certainly have followed the advice and done it myself. Unfortunately I've got chronic back issues that preclude my taking this on myself at this point.

So short of another recommendation for a mechanic in Contra Costa, Solano or Napa County, I probably will have to go with these guys.

My offer to you; if you supply/bring the fluids for the diff/s, we, prob me, can change in my garage. If you have back issues, I’ll do the ‘heavy lifting’ and you can watch....and supply beer ?

I cannot help with the transmission fluid but I know a great shop in WC that can do it and I trust them implicitly.

I’m in Concord, 2 miles from the PH Bart station.

Hit me up on PM or text 415-720-5194

Regards, Jonathan

Gear oil - mobil 1 synthetic - $9/qt = $45

Is the lube the same for the differentials and the transfer case? I went to Pep Boys last night and all they stocked was Peak Gear Oil. I could try Auto Zone or another store if there is a strong preference for which oil to use. Thanks.

Until your reasoning behind having it done rather than doing it yourself, I was going to mention that much of the 80 was intended (dare I say designed) to be field serviceable in a third world country with bamboo chopsticks and a rock.

I doubt however that back pain was calculated in those procedures. Moving forward, I recommend finding and cozying up to a reputable pre-2000 Toyota mech.

Is the lube the same for the differentials and the transfer case? I went to Pep Boys last night and all they stocked was Peak Gear Oil. I could try Auto Zone or another store if there is a strong preference for which oil to use. Thanks.

Use whatever satisfies the specs I sent you; transfer and diffs are different if I remember correctly. Use whatever brand meets the specs, don’t sweat the brand.......unless you want to ?

I had the most wonderful experience today visiting with cme4lyt, who graciously volunteered to change the oil in the differentials and transfer case. Besides the fastidious manner in which he did the work, he was a wealth of informaiton about the FJ80 and some of the places I could explore now that I'm in the Bay area. And his rig; amazing. V-8, rooftop tent, dual batteries, refrigerator and the coolest conversion of the tailgate to a useful storage space. What a nice way to spend a Sunday morning, and what a kind and generous person to meet. Thanks so much, Jonathan, and everyone else who guided me in this process!

Wait till Christmas;)

I had the most wonderful experience today visiting with cme4lyt, who graciously volunteered to change the oil in the differentials and transfer case. Besides the fastidious manner in which he did the work, he was a wealth of informaiton about the FJ80 and some of the places I could explore now that I'm in the Bay area. And his rig; amazing. V-8, rooftop tent, dual batteries, refrigerator and the coolest conversion of the tailgate to a useful storage space. What a nice way to spend a Sunday morning, and what a kind and generous person to meet. Thanks so much, Jonathan, and everyone else who guided me in this process!

You are so very welcome, great to ‘pay back’ into the MUD community again !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom