Does this OEM Toyota coil require a ballast resistor (Part #90919-02015)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this coil meant to be used with a ballast resistor?
CnpRxfRfTqaxbeiuaVQaLQ.jpg

I have a 1974 Cali-spec FJ40 that this is in (it was installed when I acquired it). It has been hooked up to a ballast resistor but the more I am researching, the more I think that this should not be connected to a resistor. In the limited information I have been able to track down for this part number, it seems like it was used through 1972. Any idea what the correct part # for a 1974 coil is?

Additional reading through the different threads on this forum indicate that 12v coils are not to be used with resistor. This one is 12V.

The FSM shows this as spec
fullsizeoutput_7b72.jpeg

Readings from this coil:
Primary
G85RLlmBR6WBZPUC87reSw.jpg

secondary
YHCnuNQkTDK2uGw3Iy4Blw.jpg

This would put it in the "F" category above, which I think refers to systems that do not include a ballast resistor.

I have read and researched as much as I can and I am not finding out for sure. I am going to be running conventional points type ignition (i.e. not Pertronix). I really want to set this up correctly before I try my engine start-up again.

Thanks in advance.

It seems from that clip from the manual, the F (USA) did use a resistor. I am assuming that because they specifically mention the USA which implies the other F was rest of world. I am not really sure though. One thing is for sure, your measured coil needs no resistor.

It seems from that clip from the manual, the F (USA) did use a resistor. I am assuming that because they specifically mention the USA which implies the other F was rest of world. I am not really sure though. One thing is for sure, your measured coil needs no resistor.

I assume the same as you from the FSM--i.e. that non-USA models did not use a resistor. IIRK, non-USA models also did not use an ignitor.

Thank you for the advice to not use a resistor. The fact that I have been this whole time likely accounts, at least in part, for some of the problems I have been having.

I tested the coil tonight and am wondering if the coil is bad. This is the procedure I used:

Unhooked all the wires from the + and - posts of the coil. I ran a hot wire from the battery + to the coil +. I held the high voltage wire from the coil 1/4 inch from the block. I momentarily grounded the - side of the coil and got no spark. If I moved it about a 16th to max an 8th of an inch I would get a small spark. Additionally, it would not spark every time at the lesser distances. Grounding and ungrounding in quick succession would produce intermittent sparking but several touches produced no spark.

Does the spark not happening with the HT wire a 1/4 inch away indicated the coil is bad? My understanding is that coils either work or they don't, so I am confused about getting spark at lesser distances than 1/4 inch but nothing at all when it is a 1/4 inch away.

I have never done any type of testing like this before so I have no idea what "normal" looks like.

I think at this point, it is best for me to go to NAPA and get a new coil.

Always remember a coil in order to spark has to constantly allow a charge buildup to get enough energy to spark. This is done either with breaker points or electronic ignition. If all you do is apply 12 v to coil and expect 20KV out without a charge, you will see what you are seeing. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, get one of these and try each plug as you turn the engine over.

Spark.PNG

Is this coil meant to be used with a ballast resistor?
View attachment 2169467

I have a 1974 Cali-spec FJ40 that this is in (it was installed when I acquired it). It has been hooked up to a ballast resistor but the more I am researching, the more I think that this should not be connected to a resistor. In the limited information I have been able to track down for this part number, it seems like it was used through 1972. Any idea what the correct part # for a 1974 coil is?

Additional reading through the different threads on this forum indicate that 12v coils are not to be used with resistor. This one is 12V.

The FSM shows this as spec
View attachment 2169471

Readings from this coil:
Primary
View attachment 2169472

secondary
View attachment 2169473

This would put it in the "F" category above, which I think refers to systems that do not include a ballast resistor.

I have read and researched as much as I can and I am not finding out for sure. I am going to be running conventional points type ignition (i.e. not Pertronix). I really want to set this up correctly before I try my engine start-up again.

Thanks in advance.

the 90919-02015 IS a internal resister coil .............

Last edited:
Hey Dean, Does your starter have the terminal on it for the resistor bypass? I believe it's fairly common, when a bad starter gets replaced to end up with a starter that doesn't have it. (like mine) If you don't have it, it may help ya decide whether or not to use a ballast resistor and matching coil. If you want to utilize a ballast resistor and don't have the extra starter terminal, you can always make it work with a relay but that's some extra wiring.

Hey Dean, Does your starter have the terminal on it for the resistor bypass? I believe it's fairly common, when a bad starter gets replaced to end up with a starter that doesn't have it. (like mine) If you don't have it, it may help ya decide whether or not to use a ballast resistor and matching coil. If you want to utilize a ballast resistor and don't have the extra starter terminal, you can always make it work with a relay but that's some extra wiring.

Happy New Year John.

Yes, my starter solenoid has that “exciter wire” on it. It looks to be the original starter.

I guess, somewhere along the way, the coil got changed out and connected in the exact same way as the original. It seems that when this was done, the fact that this coil doesn’t require a ballast resistor was not recognized.

Give that we live in central Texas where it doesn’t get cold, I am simply going to continue with the coil that is on it and bypass the ballast resistor and leave that wire disconnected.

I hope you and your family have a very happy, safe, and prosperous New Year. I appreciate all the help you are always there to offer.

Happy New Year John.

Yes, my starter solenoid has that “exciter wire” on it. It looks to be the original starter.

I guess, somewhere along the way, the coil got changed out and connected in the exact same way as the original. It seems that when this was done, the fact that this coil doesn’t require a ballast resistor was not recognized.

Give that we live in central Texas where it doesn’t get cold, I am simply going to continue with the coil that is on it and bypass the ballast resistor and leave that wire disconnected.

I hope you and your family have a very happy, safe, and prosperous New Year. I appreciate all the help you are always there to offer.

Thanks Dean and Happy New Year to you & yours.
Are you staying with the points for now? The reason I ask is, Since I've gone with the DUI dizzy, I have no use for the items below and would be happy to send them to you if you think you could use them or just wanted to experiment with'em.
The Flamethrower II coil is 0.6 ohms and is recommended for the red Ignitor II and no resistor.
The other goofy looking coil & resistor came as a combo with my first black Ignitor I.
I'm just gonna dump them if you or someone can't use'em.
Coils 01.jpg

Thanks Dean and Happy New Year to you & yours.
Are you staying with the points for now? The reason I ask is, Since I've gone with the DUI dizzy, I have no use for the items below and would be happy to send them to you if you think you could use them or just wanted to experiment with'em.
The Flamethrower II coil is 0.6 ohms and is recommended for the red Ignitor II and no resistor.
The other goofy looking coil & resistor came as a combo with my first black Ignitor I.
I'm just gonna dump them if you or someone can't use'em.View attachment 2170785

I am running points for now but could definitely use it as I plan to switch back to the Pertronix once I get it up and running. My current coil has 4 ohms resistance so the 0.6 would be much better when I hook my Ignitor II back up.
My zip is 78261. Shoot me a PM with where to send PayPal to cover shipping and what-not.

Tracking # in your mailbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom