does this have the magical switch? pic inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going on my 6th week of searching for an 80. Getting impatient.

Saw this one and was wondering if you guys that are more familiar with the dash layout can tell me if it has the diff-lock switch? Pic isnt the greatest...

is_it_a_difflock.jpg

if link doesnt work... cut and paste ...
http://members.cox.net/desertcruiser/is_it_a_difflock.jpg

If you look to the left of the steering column you'll see the mirrior switch.  IF you have the lockers, there should be a switch that looks exactly like this on the right of the mirrior switch.  If its not there then either thats not an 80 ..... orrrr they just arn't there.  I'm pretty sure thats the stock location on all the 80's.  Correct me if I'm wrong though.

BTW, borrowed the pic from www.sleeoffroad.com. He's got a great techniqual section there. http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_locker.htm

Jon,

Thanks. I know what the switch looks like. I just cant tell if the pic above has it or not. Looks like no but I cant be sure.

Unfortunately, this 80 is about a 2 hours drive away. This pic is all I have for now until I can get a hold of the seller.

8-o

Hard to see, but I would say it looks like the truck does not have the locks (switch). On the left side ofthe wheel, just below the signal stalk, you can see what looks like a blank, black square - that's where the switch goes.

It looks like there is something beside (to the left) this space, but I can't tell what it is. It looks like it may have a red LED, so could be an aux light switch, etc.

Keep the faith (and buy a LX450 :G)

Cheers, Hugh

Given I'm in Canada I'm now hunting for an LX450 too. But I figure finding one with a diff lock is going to be hard.

I hear that an ARB air locker is abou $2000 CDN installed, so besides the cost is there any reason to keep hunting for a truck with the stock lockers? Why not just get an ARB air locker? Any downside?

Thanks for your help guys.

Eight-oh,

Nope.

-B-

Benie & 8-0
My guess is you will find a significantly higher percentage of LX 450s with factory lockers than their Cruiser-badged brethren. I second Hugh's motion. Keep the faith, the mall & golf course veterans are out there. BigMac

The vehicle posted does not have diff locks. Or, as the wulf said, "nope" There is the dash light reostat to the left, next to it is the TVSS (alarm) status monitor, next to it is a lonely black hole cover............

Bernie, some of the more aggressive off-roaders have commented that the factory diff locks are more robust than the ARBs. Also the factory ones are free unless you find one in the hands of someone in the know. Besides if the unfortunate has to happen (selling the vehicle) you'll be in the know! Just try not to force the purchase as this is a sure fire way of getting exactly what you don't want. Stay focused and patient, they're out there.

Bernie,
Welcome. I am in Vancouver. I bought my TLC in Salt Lake City and drove it home. I saved a lot compared to the crazy prices charged in Canada for imported TLCs. You can buy a 93 TLC with lockers for $9-12,000US down south. After exchange, duty, taxes import costs and transport, say CD$20,000. The same truck in Vancouver will sell for CD$25,000-30,000 plus pst and GST if it's at a dealer. Check eBay, cars.com or autotrader.com

The TLC's up here are not all POS, but they are overpriced as are the LX450s IMHO. On the plus side the TLC's don't have those goofy lower body moldings.

BTW I think Hugh is right, I read a stat that all Canadian LX450's have lockers, but don't bank on it.

Good luck and be patient

Junk is refering to trusting a pic that SHOWS a switch. If there is no switch there are no diff locks. If there IS a switch doesn't mean they are present. A crooked seller could obtain a swith and stick it in the dash and then play dumb.
 Check under the vehicle for the actuators mounted on the front and rear diffs. Also verify that they work...........Buyer beware.........

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT just go by the pic.  Have a fellow cruiserdude check it out for you to make sure the lockers are there.  Repeat after me, I will not buy a truck assuming it has lockers just because the pictures show it has the switch.

Given I'm in Canada I'm now hunting for an LX450 too. But I figure finding one with a diff lock is going to be hard.

Benie:

I believe that ALL LX450s imported into Canada have diff locks - no real basis of fact here, but every LX that I looked at had them and my sense is that the dealers just agreed to bring them all in 'loaded'. IMHO they are a great deal as they generally will not have been wheeled, will have been on a long lease and therefore generally well maintained and have only been off lease for a few years.

I looked at a few TLC 80's and they were all POS - I would also be careful as they will all be imports.

PS You may not believe this, but you may want to consider buying from a Lexus dealer. I bought my truck with eyes wide open knowing the repairs that were needed (new rotors, pads, tires, problem with sunroof, AC compressor issue, etc) - all told given my repairs, I'm probably back at dealer prices.

I would also strongly suggest that you wait and get something with factory lockers (there is no premium for these in Canada) vs spending $2,000 for after market.

Your in BC correct? Email me if you want questions.

Cheers, Hugh

PS Benie - I think all the info I've given you and my consulting advice deserves the BJ60 - please send it to me COD. Thanks :D

I used to have a BJ60 and really miss it!

Cheers, Hugh

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Junk,
Thanks for the heads up on the bogus switch concern.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  

Junk,
Thanks for the heads up on the bogus switch concern.
No prob 80 - just do yourself a favor, join the 80's lists, and find another 80 owner near you or near the truck to go check it out. Most folks have no idea how to pull something over like that, but having someone else with you always helps. When I bought my 40 I had help from all over the country. Good luck.

I have 2 new in box diff dash switches(4sale). Just install in your non-locker 80 and you too will have front and rear diff locks (NOT)
Or you could fool the next owner into thinking it is (E-bay) :eek:
kurt

I will be nice and give them to those Colorado nonoffroadingmallqueenCruisers, as they never see anything more than the speed bumps at mall (CO rock climbing).

:eek:
Hi Hugh - I'm surprised about the comment abou LX 450s and factory lockers. I've spent all my time looking at TLCs instead of 450s. I'll go look at a couple later this week. I'll be praying that I find lockers.

Your comment abou missing the BJ60 scares me. I love my 60 but it's a not a highway cruiser. I truely worry that I'll spend a lot of dough on a used 450, sell my 60 and then end up missing it. ARe you still glad to have made the switch?

The thought of quite crusing, listening to my stereo, with AC on and then getting to my favorite back woods lake over a super tough rough sounds so inviting. Maybe I should start another thread on the topic of upgrading from a 60 to an 80 and the regret factor out there. I look to you comments.

::) ::) ::) ::)

Junk,

I joined the 80's list a few weeks ago. I've just recently started looking out of state and will definately ask others for help if I see something interesting.

Is it wrong to daydream about cruisers at work?

Regards,
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom