Does this choke plate look closed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having cold start problems. Not sure how far the choke plate is supposed to close.

This is with my cable pulled all the way out. Is this closed all the way?

Thanks

MVIMG_20200122_055417.jpg

The angle looks ok. Take a look at the interface of the throttle plate/carburetor bore. (Where the plate edge contacts the bore). You shouldn't see a gap.
Also actuate the choke cable at the carb with your fingers- moving the linkage to its full extent. See if the throttle plate closes any farther.

While you're at it, pump the accelerator linkage with your hand while looking down the carburetor. You should see a strong jet of fuel squirting down into the manifold. If it dribbles or is a weak squirt, replace the accelerator pump.

The end of the choke cable has a barrel on it that fits into a socket on the carb linkage--so there is no real adjustment there. What you adjust is the cable housing, which is clamped to a bracket attached to the carburetor body. If you move the cable housing end toward the carburetor, the cable is effectively made longer and the choke plate will close less at full extension of the knob. If you move the cable housing end away from the carburetor, the cable is effectively made shorter and the choke plate will close more at full extension of the knob (assuming it can close any more).

The choke breaker system opens the choke slightly once the engine starts running. So the choke plate adjustment with the cable is really just for starting.

Thanks for the input. I plan to check the accelerator pump next time i have a few minutes to pull the air cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom