Does the muffler have an indent near the driveshaft normally? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to track down a rattle/scraping sound under acceleration from stop. Seems to be from under the truck, maybe passenger side.

Didn't do it when I put all four wheels up on jackstands and ran the engine, although I was solo so I couldn't roll on and off throttle and be under the truck.

In investigating I noticed the muffler has an indent around the driveshaft. I am not sure if that's factory or "modified"? It doesn't look recently scraped so I don't think that's my problem but figured I'd ask.

1603901121278.png

I'd classify that as "trail modified" for sure.

Oh dang yup, good call!

Is the exhaust system completely stock, unmodified (aftermarket cats?), any other damage/bends to the pipes?

The stock exhaust system rubber mounts will split horizontally from age but the system won't fall down due to the interlocking "L" shapes of the brackets.

You can push up on the pipes while watching the rubber block to see if they separate. Split mounts IME are often the cause of a hard to pinpoint rumbling/rattling when in gear (especially when the AC comes on with increase in rpms) while waiting at a stoplight for example. FWIW.

Is the exhaust system completely stock, unmodified (aftermarket cats?), any other damage/bends to the pipes?

The stock exhaust system rubber mounts will split horizontally from age but the system won't fall down due to the interlocking "L" shapes of the brackets.

Only mod is I removed the resonator when I built/installed the 4x4labs bumper kit, everything else is stock to my knowledge. Really appreciate the info, am eager to get back under it and figure out how to fix--the noise this makes has been kind of unsettling and I'd like to think the rest of my rig is fairly sorted, so kind of a knock to the ego lol. Don't want to get one of the "real trucks rattle" bumper stickers *just* yet.

OK, thanks @thatcabledude you were exactly right. Got back in there after work and saw the mount behind the muffler had broken at the rubber and shifted over.
1603930956752.png

One zip tie later, the problem is gone (Confirmed with test drive.)
1603930991028.png

Now to go order the real part, though I suspect this will hold for a good while. Really appreciate the help from everyone...so glad to have this damn sound gone.
:beer:

Plan on doing all of them at the same time. Trying to remove and replace one is a royal PITA. Unbolt all of them first and don't tighten until they are all replaced.

Plan on doing all of them at the same time.
OK, good info, thanks. I was wondering if I should do all three while I'm in there, sounds like it will be worth it.

If it’s indeed that mount that has failed a good tie wire will get you by. Once you put eyes on it you will see what I’m talking about.
:lol: I used bailing wire for years to keep mine off the joint as well. Until the said bailing wire became a hand saw and cut through the exhaust. :doh:

Enhance!

Since you cut your resonator off you shouldn’t need the third mount. After cutting mine it only sped up the life expectancy of my already worn remaining two mounts.

Oh yeah, good point. @dsmud4u thanks again for the LCAs, haven't cut them up and welded them yet but I got the DOM in the mail so about ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom