Does the H42 Transmission shifter self-center? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
I looked... but didn’t find the answer when I went down the rabbit hole of the Search... lots of good stuff out there but couldn’t seem to find the answer.

I have a 1977 FJ40 with stock drivetrain (so from what I’ve read, I have an H42 4-speed)... my question is... and pardon my ignorance, my last FJ40 had an NV4500/Chevy 350 combo... but is the H42 supposed to spring back to the center position when in neutral?

The shifter seems to just lean to the left or the right when in neutral. The only “spring-ish” feeling I feel is when I shift all the way to the left to reverse, there is some spring-ish tension there... but nothing outside of that... is that normal or is there a spring/bushing or something that’s worn, that I can replace?

Hmm.
There is a blue cup bushing underneath the shifter, which degrades over time. That may be the issue.
hth

Even after a rebuild by a shop mine moves freely other than reverse. I believe that's the way they were designed.

Mine has always been just like bikersmurf's from the day I bought it new. Slides side to side with no resistance and just as you noted only feel spring tension when engaging reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom