Does the FJ80 Automatic transmission have a fluid dipstick to check oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The OP appears to be in Egypt so might not have access to the same ATF brands we have in the US. Use whichever brand says it meets or exceeds Dexron II/III specifications. Synthetic fluid may have an advantage.

The filter I installed is aftermarket (one brand Magnefine) but it is not required and maybe in your situation better to not mess with it. Some people feel it's
not needed and could even add a failure point if it clogs up.

Doing a complete fluid exchange would be one option to change out all the fluid at the same time, but doing a few drain and refills of the pan might be safer (for the transmission).

We should've asked you this before, but what year/model 80 series do you have and which transmission? Look at the vehicle Data plate/sticker if you aren't sure. ?A442F

The gasket for the drain plug is different depending on which model transmission your 80 has.

ps: looking at the photo you posted, looks like a lot of hacks done in the engine bay; water heater hoses removed (not needed in Egypt), main engine harness not routed correctly, ----.

The OP appears to be in Egypt so might not have access to the same ATF brands we have in the US. Use whichever brand says it meets or exceeds Dexron II/III specifications. Synthetic fluid may have an advantage.

The filter I installed is aftermarket (one brand Magnefine) but it is not required and maybe in your situation better to not mess with it. Some people feel it's
not needed and could even add a failure point if it clogs up.

Doing a complete fluid exchange would be one option to change out all the fluid at the same time, but doing a few drain and refills of the pan might be safer (for the transmission).

We should've asked you this before, but what year/model 80 series do you have and which transmission? Look at the vehicle Data plate/sticker if you aren't sure. ?A442F

The gasket for the drain plug is different depending on which model transmission your 80 has.

ps: looking at the photo you posted, looks like a lot of hacks done in the engine bay; water heater hoses removed (not needed in Egypt), main engine harness not routed correctly, ----.
This truck is a true Frankenstein.

He's not 100% sure what he has because things have been cobbled together.

Was a 1991 w/ diesel, now has a 1FZ-FE and apparently OBD1.

He will need to crawl under it to find a label to determine exactly what it is.

Frankenstein indeed, at least its all Toyota Landcruiser though :D

Ok called the previous owner and he said the car came with the older 3FE transmission (the 1 electric 3 mechanical gear shifts) which was causing issues for him, so he bought a new transfer case (4 electric shifts).
He then bought a new transfer case (both the old transmission and old transfer case is in his garage and he will pass them to me) and modified it so the all wheel drive is not fully engaged (due to front hub lockers being installed).

So it currently has the 4 electric shift transmission and a modified transfer case that engages 4x4 via a cutout switch (and have to engage lockers in front hub wheel).
I will take some pics tomorrow this is the only pic i have for now (thats the transfer case right?)

Regarding Oil i got the Toyota Automatic transmission oil, I didnt want to try anything else tbh I bought the Oil havent done any changes yet.

)
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-01 at 3.13.24 PM.jpeg
Screenshot 2022-06-30 160821.jpg

Not sure what you mean by engine harness, can you please clarify that ?

Not sure what you mean by engine harness, can you please clarify that ?

I believe he's referring to the engine wiring harness. In particular, yours is odd up near the firewall.

I've circled the obvious oddity in your picture and attached a random engine compartment picture from this forum for comparison:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-24 at 11.18.57 PM (1)~2.jpeg

IMG_8088.JPG

Yah that's clearer now. I think they opted for makeshift sealing rather than proper one.

I will entangle this mess as I go on.

Check that the automatic transmission fluid you purchased (shown in the photo above?) is correct for your transmission. AFAIK (as far as I know) Toyota WS AT fluid is not backward compatible to what your transmission (?A440, A442) would have called for originally.

I managed to get this picture while under the car, not sure if its enough to identify the model.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-02 at 10.54.01 PM (6).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-02 at 10.54.01 PM (7).jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom