Does the Delta Cams KC grind have a slightly lumpy idle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished a valve job on my 2F and put Delta Cam's KC grind on my cam while I was in there. The idle seems a bit lumpy now? Like a moderate RV cam grind. Smooth immediately off idle but at idle there is a bit of choppiness that was not there before. I've set the idle at 700 RPM. Timing is at 7 degrees at 950 RPM according to the sticker on the fender.

Also I'm at 7 degrees and I am using the vacuum advance. It seems a bit sluggish. Not nearly the throttle response it had in stock form? Runs just fine. Smooth. But not snappy like it was before? I would have assumed the same or more throttle response with the new cam.

It's a stock Jim C. carb so I'm pretty sure that part is OK. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Ben.

I just finished a valve job on my 2F and put Delta Cam's KC grind on my cam while I was in there. The idle seems a bit lumpy now? Like a moderate RV cam grind. Smooth immediately off idle but at idle there is a bit of choppiness that was not there before. I've set the idle at 700 RPM. Timing is at 7 degrees at 950 RPM according to the sticker on the fender.

Also I'm at 7 degrees and I am using the vacuum advance. It seems a bit sluggish. Not nearly the throttle response it had in stock form? Runs just fine. Smooth. But not snappy like it was before? I would have assumed the same or more throttle response with the new cam.

It's a stock Jim C. carb so I'm pretty sure that part is OK. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Ben.
RPM is to high and Vac advance needs to be capped when adjusting the timing.

ya, did that. I think it's supposed to be at 650 actually. I liked 700 better so that's what I did.

I run a Delta 859-250S in my 68 F. I also run. Rochester B series carb. I set my timing static at the BB...then use the thumb screw on the distributor to dial in advance, based on what ‘feels right’.

I also run a Vintage AC so with the compressor off, idle speed is 850 to 900 and when the compressor kicks on, drops to 650 to 700.

The cam doesn’t sound lumpy ‘till just about 1200 RPM, then it’s more of a poo, poo, poo sound....almost like an exhaust leak, then smooths out as the revs climb.

One of my favorite sounds is in second, coasting down to 1000 RPM then full throttle....that’s where that cam comes to life....it really pulls, no hesitation and has a nice throaty sound....almost Beamer....Jag....the sound only a Big Six can make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom