Does the CDL stay locked with engine off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I guess it does, but I'd like to be sure. If you lock the CD then the hand (parking) brake works on all four wheels. This sounds like an additional safety while jacking up the car, for example.

AFAIK Yes. EDIT .... The motor drives the CDL to engage, and needs to be reverse powered to disengage.
When using the handbrake you lock both rear wheels so you also lock the rear tailshaft, so you also lock through the transmission( if in park) through to the front tail shaft and to at least one axle, or 2 if they both have traction. By locking the CDL I believe you have the exact same scenario, as the rear shaft is allready locked which inturn makes the front tailshaft locked to it( as previous) and it is the front diff that is slIppery that makes one front or both locked. Well really I have been talking in reverse here, it makes the front drive slip, or not slip if they both have traction.

Last edited:
mmmmmmmmmm, let me re think this tomorrow, in the first case, I forgot to mention if both front wheels are able to slip/spin in the air, they can slip or spin but only in different directions.

The CDL will remain locked until you choose to unlock it via the switch whether hand brake and/or engine is cycled, etc.

yup, last time it snowed i locked the CDL to get in the driveway. In the morning when i drove out it was still locked. In the past too, i would lock the CDL when backing into the garage, so when my driveway was fully covered in snow later it would be easy to just floor it and leave.

Stays locked till u disengage the switch.

Ok, thanks. It seemed obvious, but just wanted to confirm that. Then if I jack up the rear wheels with the CD locked and the hand brake engaged, are the front wheels braked? The front diff does not count here, since both front wheels would try to turn in the same direction.
I'm just theorising here, not that I would rely only on the hand brake to stop the car from rolling away or falling from the jacks.

i wouldnt rely on just the CDL and rear ebrakes engaged if you are planning on doing some maintenance. Block the front wheels also to prevent it from moving and use jack stands, dont just leave the truck up on the jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom