Does the 2000 LC tranny hurt value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been looking for a 100 series for a little while now. Though I had a good 98, but the seller ghosted me. There is a 2000 with more miles 212k near me. Been well taken care of. Lots of fairly recent maintenance. I’ve read a lot about the issues with the transmissions. Seems like there may be something to it, but not terribly bad. Would you avoid an otherwise good 2000? Is it worth a discount on price? I’m in NY, if it were to go, would 4k be a decent estimate? Thanks

I may avoid a 2000 in NY but not because of the tranny.

I think the general concensus was if it has made it 212k its a solid tranny.

I assume you mean the frame but it's in surprisingly great shape. It has had the same owner since 2003.
Then may not be much to worry about, certainly not the tranny, imo.

What issues have you heard? I didn’t know there were a lot of issues with any of the year’s transmissions. Maybe front Diffs?

I think the general concensus was if it has made it 212k its a solid tranny.
My 2000 had the trans failure at 249K miles.

OP: I advice, get the trans rebuild ($1700 out the door) versus $3880 if it explodes! This is on top of all other expenses (stranded, towing, rentals, etc.,)

My 2000 has about 240k on it without a single transmission issue. I have read this great forum for gotta be 15 years and can’t recall an issue with a 2000 transmission.

My 2000 had the trans failure at 249K miles.

OP: I advice, get the trans rebuild ($1700 out the door) versus $3880 if it explodes! This is on top of all other expenses (stranded, towing, rentals, etc.,)
If i remember correctly it was something with how overdrive engages. The supplier for the MY2000 trucks wasn't great. Read that they switched suppliers for 2001 and beyond. Does a standard rebuild include the parts needed to upgrade it or is there some kit to get?

If i remember correctly it was something with how overdrive engages. The supplier for the MY2000 trucks wasn't great. Read that they switched suppliers for 2001 and beyond. Does a standard rebuild include the parts needed to upgrade it or is there some kit to get?
Mine drove all great at 80+ MPH for hours, filled gas and pulled into the service road, then no go.. heard grinding sounds, thats it. It moves slowly and gets to 2nd gear with a shap shockload all over the truck.

Its the needle roller bearing located right inside the OD planetary gears. If you plan to rebuild it, specifically inform the rebuilder you want the bearings replaced with good parts as well and show this (from my truck).

One thing I noticed after the rebuild is it pulls like a sports car! Never experienced it even on my cousins 40K mile driven 200 series.

20220812_154046.jpg

One thing I noticed after the rebuild is it pulls like a sports car! Never experienced it even on my cousins 40K mile driven 200 series.
Did they supercharge it at the same time or something? There's no way a 100 - and particularly an A343F - pulls harder than a 200. I've owned both 100 transmission variants and a 200 and it's really not even close. The 5.7 has 150 more hp and better ratios. It's a substantial difference.

Did they supercharge it at the same time or something? There's no way a 100 - and particularly an A343F - pulls harder than a 200. I've owned both 100 transmission variants and a 200 and it's really not even close. The 5.7 has 150 more hp and better ratios. It's a substantial difference.
I do not know what they did, but the first thing I noticed after the rebult was the pull.. The throttle response has improved significantly, and if I step on the gas just 1/2 an inch, everyone inside the truck pushes back into their seats. It never did that for a such small change in gas paddle. I drove the 200 (few years back) and It didn't do the same. Recently, I test drove few Armada's (Y62's) and I feel no difference of my 100 to the Armada.

My 2000 has 245k on the clock now and I’ve hauled my family across the country 6 times, wheeled it all over the Southwest, all while towing an M101 trailer loaded with camping gear, etc. Hell I’ve even towed an FJ60 and a pickup through the CO mountains (Monarch Pass, etc) with it. I’ve never been concerned about the transmission.

Bought my 2000 LC 3 years ago with 230k. Last summer I was coming home from a group drive in the Hill Country and mine went out at 250k. I had it rebuilt and it has been solid since. I’ve put 26k on it since having it rebuilt.

I have 290k now and drive 90 down the freeway for hundreds of miles before wheeling the heck out of it. If you look hard enough on this board you’ll find every year has had a trans failure, some with very low mileage. It’s rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom