Does running in 2 low cause any issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering, one of my cruisers can run in 2 low cause the little stop is missing but I was wondering if it's okay to do and if there's ever a good reason to do it?

I do it all the time on easy trail sections....saves some wear/stress on the drivetrain

Yeah but you live in a very girlie state, there is much more to deal with in AZ then fields of cows and maybe some cute little stream! All you have are easy trail sections:) Hell, Tims Hill is your highest point at 1,900 feet, I'd have to dig down 1,000 feet just to get there :grinpimp:

Naw I'm messing with you! I grew up in Milwaukee, hated it moved and haven't even considered going back! Thanks for the info, I thought I might kill my junk!

...ever a good reason to do it?

Yeah. If you've got a welded front end or a 'hard' locker.

;)

....heehehe....and we all know I'm skeert to cross the border....lol

go for it... i love 2wd low.

i use it everywhere... macca's drive through, supermarket car parks (it really annoys the people following)

even on the street (i love the way low 3rd launches) :D

but as has been said.. easy trail sections etc is great

I still use the vacuum shifting mechanism just because it makes it so easy to shift in and out of front wheel drive. I don't use the front end till I need it

poor mans ARB!

:grinpimp:

i too am guilty of using it, generally on those annoying down hill roads that don't need four wheel drive but are filled with pesky ruts and rocks.

It does put twice the torque to the two rear axle shafts, as opposed to distributing over four. I broke a short side axle that way. The full floaters have a built in (annoying) safety mechanism.....the six studs, holding the axle in, shear off. i went thru 3 sets before drilling out the hubs and going from 8mm (stock) to 10mm studs

I run 2 low all the time. I wonder sometimes if the rear axels are screaming sometimes. I can picture them really trying not to break on a long uphill. When I shift into 4 low the truck seems lighter.

I too use it all the time, going in 2 low on light trails gets me in and if I get stopped thats when I lock em in. I also use it when stuck in traffic jams. I'll just let a gap form inbetween me and the car in front and just creep along rather than in and out with the clutch all day. It's my lever I'll play with it however I want ;)

I used it in the bad old days when mine stalled and I needed to get out of the intersection, slow but easier on the starter.

I use it all the time. My old fart neighbour hates the beast. Made a few complaint to the town, so I use it just to make more noise with the 2F :D

Seems there was a reason someone said this was not good for vehicle. If true does anyone know what that is?
To clarify, we're talking about transfer in low gear but the hubs not locked, right?

ChuckD said:
To clarify, we're talking about transfer in low gear but the hubs not locked, right?

Negative.

I'm talking about doing the 2Lo mod to the t-case shift gate and moving the lever to the right of 2 Hi

I think putting her in 4Lo w/ hubs open would just spin the front diff...

froggy said:
I use it all the time. My old fart neighbour hates the beast. Made a few complaint to the town, so I use it just to make more noise with the 2F :D

exactly the use i have for mine but felt was too immature to post

ChuckD said:
Seems there was a reason someone said this was not good for vehicle. If true does anyone know what that is?

no we're not

we're talking about removing the bit of metal that stops your transfer lever moving across to low range without dropping it down to 4wd... the front output shaft doesn't spin.

only problem i've heard is that your channeling huge gobs of torque to just one axle, so a slightly higher risk of breaking stuff like axle shafts (hub studs on a FF axle)

Well the manual that came with my 78 stated that it could be harmful if done with the hubs disengaged in the front. Maybe it is the torque issue in the rear as mentioned a few times above.

exactly the use i have for mine but felt was too immature to post

Now I 'm ashamed of my post..... but sometimes, you got to let it go. :beer:

yes IF your talking about putting it in 4WD...... WE ARE NOT

apparently you can stuff the spindles using 4wd without the hubs locked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom