Does Red Mud smell like burning plastic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I've been doing some trail riding and getting the undercarriage of the old LX covered in mud. Haven't really done a good job of cleaning it. It's a combination of some swampy mud from Ion swamp and also that red-clay mud from the Columbia area. I now have a pretty strong burning smell in the cabin now on long drives. Specifically highway driving where I presume the exhaust stays hot for longer periods more with the constant RPMs.

This smell is like burning plastic. Does this sound like mud? Or should I be digging deeper? I've crawled underneath and looked extensively for any grease being thrown on the exhaust but can't find anything. Looks to be just mud.

-Eliot

Hey guys,

I've been doing some trail riding and getting the undercarriage of the old LX covered in mud. Haven't really done a good job of cleaning it. It's a combination of some swampy mud from Ion swamp and also that red-clay mud from the Columbia area. I now have a pretty strong burning smell in the cabin now on long drives. Specifically highway driving where I presume the exhaust stays hot for longer periods more with the constant RPMs.

This smell is like burning plastic. Does this sound like mud? Or should I be digging deeper? I've crawled underneath and looked extensively for any grease being thrown on the exhaust but can't find anything. Looks to be just mud.

-Eliot
I've driven home from Uwharrie, Gulches, and Windrock Park caked in Mud and it never smelled like plastic... I'd check for possibly picking up a plastic bag or burnt wiring.

It does smell, but not like plastic.
Put a sprinkler under it for an hour or so.
See if that helps.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I still have yet to figure it out. Will continue diagnosis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom