Does leaking PS really trash the air pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

60wag

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone out there have a plausible theory as to how a leaky steering pump can cause an air pump failure? Can the steering fluid actually get into the air pump? I doubt it. I've had several air pump failures and never had a leaky steering pump. Could it be simply a superstition the has developed due to the high milage of our ancient and poorly rebuilt airpumps? Has anyone ever had a NEW OE air pump die an early death while being bled on by a steering pump? Just wondering.

Good question...I know they say dont oil on the side of them but besides that it almost sounds like your right.

This was recently discussed in <https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=130816>

yes.

Does anyone out there have a plausible theory as to how a leaky steering pump can cause an air pump failure? Can the steering fluid actually get into the air pump? I doubt it. I've had several air pump failures and never had a leaky steering pump. Could it be simply a superstition the has developed due to the high milage of our ancient and poorly rebuilt airpumps? Has anyone ever had a NEW OE air pump die an early death while being bled on by a steering pump? Just wondering.
The air pump is designed to run dry. If the vanes or seals or slipper springs get oily & sticky, then the vanes don't slide properly, get out of position and jam up the works.

There are small breather holes on the rear plate of the air pump, appx 1/8" diameter. As the air pump spins, some air is aspirated at the breather. As the air moves in & out thousands of times per minute at highway speed, the oil residue from the PS pump will work its way into the pump internals. Then the vanes get oily, start to soften & stick and then {crunch} all motion ceases.

Obviously the AP can fail for a number of reasons, but PS contamination will definitely do it.

Yes, and when the air pump siezes up , there is a hideous squeeling noise and smoke and a horrible smell & and that's when you realize that the same belt drives the water pump. Funny how a .25 cent o-ring left unchecked can unleash so much horror.

i had a leaky ps for ever:doh: , and the air pump is still good!!

i had a leaky ps for ever:doh: , and the air pump is still good!!

My PS leaked for 3 years before it caused my airpump to fail. Not sure if 3 years is "forever" but the failure was pretty sudden...and a long way from home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom