Does frame off increase value much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was having a convo with a guy about cleaning and painting the frame while the tub is off versus pulling the frame completely, blasting and painting. He seemed to think going the route of blasting the frame would significantly increase value...like 5-8k. Seemed like a bit much to me but not sure. Does blasting and painting make that much of a difference in value? Obviously there is a cost to get it done (maybe1k?) plus the time and effort to get it all back together.

Last edited:
Thinking it's that effort and the level of work on everything else that drives cost.

It’s hard to say that a complete tear down is worth x amount of dollars but it’s the level of the work and attention to detail that makes one vehicle worth more than another. It just depends on what the rest of the build is going to be .
If the body and drivetrain are done at a high level then the frame should be no less.
If it’s a moderate level “amateur “ body repair and not a complete restoration ,I would focus my dollars on substance ( i.e. steering ,suspension,brakes and such ) that way you’ve got a solid dependable unit that you can enjoy and if the time comes to sell you can at least know that it’s solid and recoup your investment
Just my opinion though.lol

When I consider how much I am willing to pay for something, I look at it's current condition. I'm only mildly interested in it's history, only as it would reflect how it got to it's current condition.
And when I do see a bunch of work done, I look closely to see how well the work was done. Any signs of poor skill or lack of attention to detail (really ANY) is going to degrade from the value I put on any of the work that might have been done. If I notice that bolts are missing or the wrong size I start assuming that cheap paint was used and whatever work was done will need to be redone soon.

I think Landcruisers are built to be driven off road in the dirt , mud and rocks and frames are going to look that part if you’re building a garage queen go ahead and paint it but I’m not so sure it’s going to increase the value by $5,000.00 .

What I've seen by looking at the resale market over the last few years is something like the following:

1) If the vehicle is low mileage and "pristine" then do nothing. That includes not driving the vehicle much.

2) If the vehicle is of decent quality but has typical Cruiser issues such as mild/moderate body rust and light rear frame issues or the like then frame renovation makes financial sense and adds dramatically to buyer confidence as the vehicle will last for decades more. I would think your $5-8K figure is a little high without comensurate improvements and renovation across all the other various vehicle systems. I wouldn't hesitate to add $3K to maybe $4K to a sales price if sold fresh out of the renovation process. Five or ten years in the future would dramatically reduce that figure.

3) If the vehicle needs extensive rebuilding due to neglect or abuse then, I guess it just depends on how cheaply you acquire the original platform. Parts and labor would be the top end here if you're an honest seller. There are plenty of dishonest sellers out there asking big dollars for their gussied-up junk.

This is only my casual opinion. Between these three scenarios are a hundred interim steps along the way.

Last edited:
As the previous posts indicate. Frame off isn’t a giant bump if everything else is so so. AND one persons frame off can be worlds apart
From another. Just look at the many posters on this forum and you see the differences in quality and attention. Not to knock people- some people just have more resources, time and/ or skill or simply don’t desire to invest what it takes to do it to the level of some of the guys here.. song of the builds here are simply Amazing!

ive seen plenty of supposed frame offs not from this site that I think would lower the price since it looks so sloppy from first impressions.
I’d rather someone who doesn’t pay attention to detail do nothing than touch everything and do a Mediocre job. Whenever I see sloppy work on one thing I know there is more of it elsewhere. If you document it all and can show professional level work then I think that helps an increase in value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom