Does Fan Blower Motor Spin Freely Normally? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gascan

All chaps, no jeans.
Threads
For those of you who have taken out your blower motor before, did the fan blade spin freely or did it have a lot of resistance spinning?

As above, the bearings can rust and the motor not spin up, try putting the ignition on and blower on full and give it a flick, you may find this brings it back to life, albeit not for long.

On the downside, if it has been stuck for a long while then the electronics in the speed control can burn out long before a fuse blows.

regards

Dave

Thanks guys! Mine has intermittently begun not working/spinning on car start-up, (it doesn’t appear to be any of the other documented issues for the blower not working). Before this, it had developed a rough noise. I’ve pulled it and the fan itself has a lot of resistance spinning by hand, which didn’t seem right.

I think I may have push started it by flicking the fan with my finger the other day, but that may have just been a coincidence as the problem is intermittent, after all.

Thanks guys! Mine has intermittently begun not working/spinning on car start-up, (it doesn’t appear to be any of the other documented issues for the blower not working). Before this, it had developed a rough noise. I’ve pulled it and the fan itself has a lot of resistance spinning by hand, which didn’t seem right.

I think I may have push started it by flicking the fan with my finger the other day, but that may have just been a coincidence as the problem is intermittent, after all.
How did you get your finger to it to spin it?

How did you get your finger to it to spin it?

I had the cover under the glovebox unscrewed & out of the way before starting the engine... started the engine from the passenger side, quickly dropped down into the footwell and stuck my finger into the opening pushing on the blower wheel/fan blade (after it wouldn’t spin for the last 1.5 days). Not sure if it was just the normal delay between the engine start/power to motor or if my finger pushing the blower wheel gave it the jump it needed (sort of like when a fan capacitor in an HVAC condenser is going bad and can’t get enough power to start a fan motor but if you give the fan blade a push, the motor kicks on and starts to spin)... so probably a coincidence. Will be ordering a new motor shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom