Does cat cut down on exhaust fumes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you ever install a cat? did it help?

arndog

No, I never did :frown:. I hate to admit it, but I have hardly done anything to the pig the last 3 years. I should probably sell it to someone that can give it some attention.

If I did put a CAT on.... I would make sure a heat shield is installed first.

No, I never did :frown:. I hate to admit it, but I have hardly done anything to the pig the last 3 years. I should probably sell it to someone that can give it some attention. If I did put a CAT on.... I would make sure a heat shield is installed first.

Is the carb and timing well tuned?

I think I'll end up with a cat on one of other cars, it's tuned decent but still smells like exhaust, I'll update this thread

Usually an exhaust smell in the cab is because of either a leak in your system or where the pipe exits (should be behind wheel, angled down and back). A straight pipe out the back will expose your crappy weatherstrip and draw gasses back in :(

Good luck!

Tucker

Having had many cars on exhaust gas analyzers - a carbed non-cat vehicle can run perfectly and still puts out many, many times the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide as a fuel injected catalytic car. It's why cats are universal, quality guaranteed and warrantied, and monitored constantly by the vehicles PCM. it really isn't a bad idea to put one on an older vehicle.

it did cut down on the smell when I had the cat in place...

Don't take my comment wrong guys, wasn't debating the value of a cat. Was just stating that if he is trying to get rid of exhaust smell in the cab, exhaust still stinks coming out of a well tuned fuel injected vehicle with a cat. Fix the leaks or reason it's coming in was my point ...

Tucker

Don't take my comment wrong guys, wasn't debating the value of a cat. Was just stating that if he is trying to get rid of exhaust smell in the cab, exhaust still stinks coming out of a well tuned fuel injected vehicle with a cat. Fix the leaks or reason it's coming in was my point ...

Tucker

I agree that routing it clear to the rear and with non leaking pipe is a must...the pig seems to vacuum its atmosphere...

also check the exhaust manifold. they are known the leak. thats likely a good place to start with cutting down exhaust smell.

I have a cat on mine and it still stinks. That said I also currently get 9 mpg and the piggy really needs a new carb & tune. new carb coming via trollhole

also check the exhaust manifold. they are known the leak. thats likely a good place to start with cutting down exhaust smell.

I have a cat on mine and it still stinks. That said I also currently get 9 mpg and the piggy really needs a new carb & tune. new carb coming via trollhole

for anyone who wants to see where their exhaust leaks are, pull half a can of seafoam into the intake via a vacuum tube...Might do so down the street and warn all of your neighbors that even tho they are going to think your truck is on fire, it isn't, and to NOT cal the fire dept. heck, you might call the FD yourself and tell em not to come....but long story short, you will see where each and every one of the leaks in the exhaust and intake tracts are...take pics/write notes; there will be too many spots to just remember...HTH

pour seafoam carefully into a vacuum hose.

Putting a vacuum hose into a can of seafoam can hydrolock your engine.

I have a pic somewhere of an s-shaped con rod from exactly this problem.

good looking out....I did not know that, but it makes sense. I was told to suck it up a tiny bit at a time, thought it was to prevent sucking in too much, the reason was not told to me nor did I inquire...guess I got lucky.

what is seafoam?

Seafoam does absolutely nothing other then smoke the hell out of your neighbors and kill any living pests in the general area. I've broken down a two stroke that gets tons of carbon build up prior to doing a seafoam purge and then after and there was no difference. Its no different then watching those people on TV getting the ear wax purge by putting those silly tubes in their ears and lighting them on fire. Oh look all that junk is the crap from your ears… actually its all the crap from the burnt tube. Well all that smoke is from the unburnt petroleum fuel from the sea foam. You get the same thing using a quart of diesel fuel. Hey there was a time I was sold on it as well. Until I began to question it with my own engines.

As for a solvent PB Blaster was a much better solvent then Seafoam at removing carbon buildup when soaking it in a drip pan at room temps over night. The PB Blaster broke down the carbon while the Seafoam did not really do as much.

This crazy old dude seems pretty on the ball with some things. He might have some idea's in his ideas. You might need a tune up and readjust your timing. And an oil change as well. Also when was the last time a compression test was done on all six cylinders? Sorry not sure what engine you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE

Fumes

It's just the way the wind drafts off the body. If u run with that window open
It will come inside. . Next time u pass someone driving a convertible. Look at the way the peeps hair is blowing. Not back like u would think. But forward towards the glass, that why they have the wind Jams behind the back seats

I believe the sea foam comment was about testing for leaks NOT about the best product to clean the internals of the motor

I believe the sea foam comment was about testing for leaks NOT about the best product to clean the internals of the motor

Actually once the Seafoam genie gets let out of the can the conversation almost always leads to doing a carbon buildup purge. Which is the intake not the actual internals of the engine. :D

I stand by what I stated. Best way to test for exhaust leaks is by hand. Reach around and feel for the hot gasses coming out around the connectors first. You can also use hot soapy water when the engine is cold and soak the area suspected. Ive used that method before with much success. :grinpimp:

As for the exhaust coming into the cabin…. like everyone said it is the nature of the beast…. the vacuum created behind the pig is going to suck what ever fumes end up behind the truck back into the cabin when you have the rear tailgate window down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom