Does anyone use this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigSur,

From what I have read in the past, Mel's is the just re-packaged Pertronix...which works well.

romer,

Pertronix just uses an early LC dizzy and replaces the points/condenser/ignitor.

[quote author=xumFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=11771;start=msg107373#msg107373 date=1077219503]
BigSur,

From what I have read in the past, Mel's is the just re-packaged Pertronix...which works well.

romer,

Pertronix just uses an early LC dizzy and replaces the points/condenser/ignitor.
[/quote]

And i notice the Pertonix is $30 cheaper. Would something like this hurt the engine or just make it better?

I've got the Mel's in my 74 and love it.

I was never great at adjusting points and the Mel's really smoothed out the running of the engine. It's a :banana: job, real easy.

Yes it is a modified Petronix and I forget what the difference is, but I *think* you have to fab someting to really make the Petroinix work. I could be wrong though...

OTOH: I've been told by many cruiserheads that the better route is to try to get a used later model breakerless ignition from a Landcruiser. Built much better than the points distributors, and GM HEI units. Plus, it's already curved correctly for your engine (IE: HEI)
I will go this route next time

Should be able to find a used distributor and coil for maybe $150 or so?

I think it only fits pre 75 dizzy's. But I agree i have heard nothing but good things about it.

[quote author=bsilva132 link=board=1;threadid=11771;start=msg107478#msg107478 date=1077230687]
Just get the pertronix from here:
http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/PerTronixConversions.htm
~$100 shipped for the ignitor and a 40K volt coil. Works great in my 69 F.
[/quote]

I have used JT's kit, Petronix don't make one to fit the later dizzies, JT does.
works great....
Butch

I love my DUI-HEI unit, set up(curved) by them to my engine, cam, carb, gear ratio, tire size, etc...

Have put them in other F and 2F applications, and they work well.

-Steve

Was trying to find the last topic/post concerning this MELs/petronics stuff... seem to remember some issue with it...but I can not find the thread...I must be retarded with that search function, or something...

So would i need to get more then just the Mel's Kit if i want to put this on my 60?

I notice mention of a Hei...can someone enlighten this newbie?

Also, what does the Mel's do to my engine?

You already have electronic ignition in your 60 series, unless the engine is not original, and someone has swapped things around...

HEI- High Energy Ignition..

So for a stock 2F, what does an HEI give you that a Mel's or Petronix doesn't? Does it have to do with not having to worry about the shaft vibrating, or does the MEL's take that away as well.

I had the crane XR700 in mine and it worked GREAT. I would do it again in an instant if I had points again. Set everything up, including a 43 degree dwell.

I had been looking into the pertronix kit and had been wondering if it is worth getting the coil to go with it?

So what else would need to be bought along with the Mel's unit?

The Mel's/Petronix kit gets rid of the points in your distributor. The old coil will work fine with either. A breakerless ignition (no points) is more reliable than a points system. Also, you don't need to adjust the points over time.

The HEI refers to the amount of voltage (or energy, or whatever) that the spark plug gets. Later Toytota ignitions (FJ60 time span) have igniton systems that are at least as good as the chevy HEI ignition.

Also, something like an MSD ignition/ Jacobs/ Crane etc are all designed to give you a HEI type spark (arguably better)

People like the GM HEI because it fixes/ gives you both at once. A later model Toyota system will also (sorry, don't know dates off the top of my head)

HTH

[quote author=BigSur link=board=1;threadid=11771;start=msg107823#msg107823 date=1077294023]
So what else would need to be bought along with the Mel's unit?
[/quote]

Your FJ60 should have electronic ignition if it still has the 2F engine in it, as Poser pointed out! If so, you don't need Mel's kit. :D

FWIW: I perfer points. They give you an additional point of adjustment to get it running correctly. If you supe up the ign. for example; you would need to open the points a bit, or maybe close them a bit. It is a trial an error thing like plug gap can be. Correctly installed points can give around 10K without adj. Maybe an occassional look but nothing more. I like being able to mess with the dwell angle.

You can open the air gap a bit on the 60 series units but it does not give you much gain.

Given the choice I would not use the pertronx (avail from Summit BTW) on an older dist. You want the NON USA/early USA points style dist with adj vac advance. Just use the points. I would not change out a later model full ele ign for an early points ign. You get little gain if any.

With a late model dist you money is better spent on an MSD ignition control (7A MSD), hi pro wires (MSD), and a full tune up with NGK plugs gapped large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom