Does anyone here have a TJM T15 bumper on their Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
Hi, all — and Merry Christmas!

Does anyone here have a TMJ T15 front bumper on their Cruiser? I am thinking about getting one and I am curious to hear people’s opinions on them. If so, do you like it? How easy was it to install?

Also, if anyone has a picture of theirs on their rig and could share a picture here I would appreciate it.

I have the stock bumper on my ‘94 currently but want to eventually get a sturdier bumper. I like ARB’s — but I think I like the look of the TMJ better.

Which do you all think is better — the TMJ or the ARB? Is there a big difference between them?

Last question! How hard/difficult is it to mount and put these aftermarket bumpers on? Is it something me & my Dad could do in an hour or two in our garage? Or would it be best to have a auto accessory place or a mechanic who knows what he’s doing install it?

Here’s a picture of what the bumper I’m referencing looks like.

73B6AA3B-8E2E-4ACB-87C0-693D786A910C.jpeg

Thanks!

With respect to your question about ease of install, two people can certainly swap out a stock front bumper for an aftermarket one. If you have basic mechanical skills (like can change your oil) it should be a straightforward process. Depending on the bumper, there are 2-4 main bolts per side and the second person is useful to stabilize the bumper while the bolts are started. If the bumper has marker/turn signal lights then those would need to be spliced into your current wiring. If electrical is not your thing, there are plenty of folks here that would be able to walk you through the process.

Unless you REALLY know and trust an auto accessory shop, I would cringe at the thought of someone else adding accessories to my truck. Especially with wiring, how will you know that the job was done right if you didn’t at least oversee it yourself. Almost without exception, every time I have had a shop work on my truck, I come away with more problems than the truck started with. I also usually have a sense that I could have just done a bit of research (like you are doing now) and completed the task better than the shop.

Learn a new skill, maybe end up with a new tool or two, and have the satisfaction of completing the job yourself. You can definitely do this.

Can’t help on the stock/TJM comparison as I still have a stock bumper...

I have a TJM T17 bumper and think it's a good alternative to the stock bumper. I probably wouldn't want to drag it through the rocks, but that's not what I do anyway. It didn't add much weight which is what I was after.

Reactions: mrq
Learn a new skill, maybe end up with a new tool or two, and have the satisfaction of completing the job yourself.

AMEN Brother mingles!

@mrq - I installed the TJM T17 bumper by myself.. Its not complicated at all.. can't recall if its 4 or 6 bolts. You and your pops could do it in no time and it will be good bonding.

@mrq - I installed the TJM T17 bumper by myself.. Its not complicated at all.. can't recall if its 4 or 6 bolts. You and your pops could do it in no time and it will be good bonding.

This man has limited mechanical skills. If he can do it, you can do it.

Just kidding, this is my best friend who I sold my first cruiser to. I saw his bumper install and he actually did it by himself with the help of a jack and jack stands. It's a pretty straightforward process that you and your dad should have no problem with.

With respect to your question about ease of install, two people can certainly swap out a stock front bumper for an aftermarket one. If you have basic mechanical skills (like can change your oil) it should be a straightforward process. Depending on the bumper, there are 2-4 main bolts per side and the second person is useful to stabilize the bumper while the bolts are started. If the bumper has marker/turn signal lights then those would need to be spliced into your current wiring. If electrical is not your thing, there are plenty of folks here that would be able to walk you through the process.

Unless you REALLY know and trust an auto accessory shop, I would cringe at the thought of someone else adding accessories to my truck. Especially with wiring, how will you know that the job was done right if you didn’t at least oversee it yourself. Almost without exception, every time I have had a shop work on my truck, I come away with more problems than the truck started with. I also usually have a sense that I could have just done a bit of research (like you are doing now) and completed the task better than the shop.

Learn a new skill, maybe end up with a new tool or two, and have the satisfaction of completing the job yourself. You can definitely do this.

Can’t help on the stock/TJM comparison as I still have a stock bumper...

Thanks so much for the response!

Yes, the bumper install is something I would like to be able to do myself (with the help of my Dad). I have literally ZERO mechanical or electrical knowledge/experience — so that’s why I was considering having someone else put the bumper on. My mechanic is an 80 series owner himself and he’s done several mods and accessory additions to his rig himself. So I would trust him to install it if it came down to having to have someone else do it. There’s also a Land Cruiser specialty shop/repair place here in Portland called “Land Cruiser NW” who I’m sure could do it and do a good job — as they also do accessory and mod installs.

Me and my Dad did put on the grill guard that is currently on my rig. So if we could do that (just removing and installing bolts) it sounds like we could do this.

Thanks so much for the response & for the encouragement!

I just ordered the tjm and should have it next week.
I’ll post the pics.

Wow, nice! THANK YOU so much. I would really appreciate that. I want to get a better vision of what it looks like on the rig, and I want to see what it looks like from the side. Let me know how the installation goes!

Btw, where did you order the bumper from?

Do you still need pictures?

I ended up going w/ the ARB front bumper. Thanks for the response, though. I appreciate it!

Feel free to add the picture to this thread so others that eventually do some searching here on MUD will have a chance to see it.

Cheers!

I ended up going w/ the ARB front bumper. Thanks for the response, though. I appreciate it!

Feel free to add the picture to this thread so others that eventually do some searching here on MUD will have a chance to see it.

Cheers!

PICS????

I don’t have the ARB installed yet! I just got it the other day from 4WheelParts. I picked it up in-store. It’s sitting in my garage right now. It’s going on my rig on Friday. I will post some pics when after it’s installed.

I have a T17 one and it's garbage IMHO. Its thin metal and is bent in several places from not so rough bumps. The winch setup is worthless and I would NOT recommend it. Now its better looking than the factory bumper but don't expect to actually use it. If I had the funds to replace it I'd say you could have it for a case of craft beer. 😀🍺 not sure if the 15 is any better

20180813_195605.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom