Does anyone have the Knuckle Centering Tool (FJ-40/60) I might borrow? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Preferably in Tucson....

If it's in PHX, would of course be happy to pay shipping and of course provide a renumeration - beer, or whatever you might prefer!

Thanks -

Chuck (Rocky)

PM Me or email at chuck@chuckhuber.com

What did you find Chuck, just curious.

Yes I have one... who needs it?
20180817_190059.jpg

Thanks - Appreciate you reaching out. I'll post up pix when the knuckles are done. Also installing the 4-Plus spring Flip kit. Those parts are SOLID!

To answer Splitshot…

My knuckles were just oozing syrupy grease (WTF? I just did this job 10 years ago!!!). So I was pretty confident that my inner seals were leaking. And after having driven your truck (which drives straight, as opposed to mine, which has a bit of a front/rear tire offset), I plan to have the truck professionally aligned, but I was waiting on completing this project.

Anyway - I have those SOR lower skid plates, but am not happy with them - they can flex, and loose torque on the U-Bolts. They need stiffened up.

Anyway - inside the first knuckle, everything looks good except the upper knuckle bearing is shot. New bearings are on order. It seems like water got in there somehow...

It's just a messy project - not hard. I'm painting things up and reassembling now.
IMG_8671 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8673 (Medium).JPG

To answer Splitshot…

My knuckles were just oozing syrupy grease (WTF? I just did this job 10 years ago!!!). So I was pretty confident that my inner seals were leaking. And after having driven your truck (which drives straight, as opposed to mine, which has a bit of a front/rear tire offset), I plan to have the truck professionally aligned, but I was waiting on completing this project.

Anyway - I have those SOR lower skid plates, but am not happy with them - they can flex, and loose torque on the U-Bolts. They need stiffened up.

Anyway - inside the first knuckle, everything looks good except the upper knuckle bearing is shot. New bearings are on order. It seems like water got in there somehow...

It's just a messy project - not hard. I'm painting things up and reassembling now.View attachment 1769919 View attachment 1769920
Something that I have been thinking about for some time now...
I see that you have your axle breathers covered with a hose routing up somewhere higher that the water mark i assume.
Any special connectors needed for this mod?
And where did you route the upper side of the hose so it stays dry???
Cheers-
Ryan and Rusty

I'll post up pix when the knuckles are done. Also installing the 4-Plus spring Flip kit. Those parts are SOLID!

I'll say, going on the list when I reseal my brifs.

Thanks - Appreciate you reaching out. I'll post up pix when the knuckles are done. Also installing the 4-Plus spring Flip kit. Those parts are SOLID!
Rocky LC,
I still need to know if you want me to ship the 12" digital calipers and the digital pull-scale with the axle alignment tool. I sent you emails but need you confirmation before sending the package your way.
Please get back to me and let me know your thoughts...
Cheers-
Ryan and Rusty 1970FJ40

Hi Ryan -

Just want to make sure you got my response via email. Again - thanks for the help.

Chuck (a.k.a Rocky)

I sent you two emails, the first at 11:10 AM and a second one at 12:51 PM on Aug 18th..., did you get those emails?

Hi Ryan -

Just want to make sure you got my response via email. Again - thanks for the help.

Chuck (a.k.a Rocky)
I still need you to see the two most recent emails that I sent to you and get your input before I send the tools off to you.

Thanks, Ryan - Sorry, I missed those.

Here's a couple of pictures of things. The pictures didn't come out as well as I'd like (the knuckle really cleaned up well), but you can see how bad that upper knuckle bearing is.

Everything is cleaning up well, and all my parts have arrived... Just lots of "stuff" to clean up!

Rocky

DSC01379 (Medium).JPG
DSC01381 (Medium).JPG
DSC01382 (Medium).JPG
DSC01383 (Medium).JPG

Please read the emails that I sent to you on August 18th (did you receive them?)...
I am still waiting to hear from you regarding how many of my tools you want me to send to you (i.e. the long calipers and pull-scale).

Happy to report that the axle centering tool that was sitting in a box on my work bench is being put to more good use in Tucson.
Thanks to medtro and others for making the connection.

DSC01408 (Large).JPG
DSC01409 (Large).JPG
DSC01412 (Large).JPG
DSC01413 (Large).JPG
Thanks, Ryan -

Got 'er dun! I'll be packing and shipping your stuff back in a few days. Thanks for helping me out. A couple of shots...

DSC01408 (Large).JPG
DSC01409 (Large).JPG
DSC01412 (Large).JPG
DSC01413 (Large).JPG

Knuckle project almost complete... Still waiting on Parts for my "Frankenstein" front end... FJ-40 Axle, FJ-60 Knuckles & Power Steering, Minitruck Calipers & Brakelines, FJ-55 Steering Column, Ford Shock Towers, Downey Springs, 4-Plus U-Bolt Flip Kit......

DSC01433 (Large).JPG
DSC01435 (Large).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom