Does anyone have pics on how to replace the high beam switch only? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had the high beam problem for a couple of years now and want to try and re-attack. Do I have to take the column off just to replace the high beam switch? Pics would be great! Thanks!

1996 Landcrusier

Been looking at this too. As far as I can tell so far, to replace the switch only would require full disassembly of the column and repinning of the connector.

mine has never worked in the high-beam mode. I disassembled the whole thing and took out all the little springs and balls and crap - can't figure out for the life of me where the high-beam switch actually lives. I see the "flash" momentary switch that allows you to pull the stalk towards you, but no idea where the mechanism is that engages the high-beams.

So I left it.

mine has never worked in the high-beam mode. I disassembled the whole thing and took out all the little springs and balls and crap - can't figure out for the life of me where the high-beam switch actually lives. I see the "flash" momentary switch that allows you to pull the stalk towards you, but no idea where the mechanism is that engages the high-beams.

So I left it.

I think you'll have to replace the entire turn signal/headlight switch stalk as a whole, I've never heard of anyone replacing just a part of it.

Well, has anyone replaced the whole switch? How much do they cost?

The clock spring/switch assembly comes with both stalks for high beams, turn signals, and wiper controls. You need to remove the steering column clam shells, the steering wheel air bag, and the steering wheel to get to it. While everything was apart I cleaned and relubed the sticky tilt mechanism.

Here's a link to a thread discussing the parts, best deal is to buy the whole clock spring/switch assembly (84306-33020).

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/clock-spring-spiral-cable-same-thing.550219/

Last edited:
No pictures, but I did change out the headlight assembly on my 91 with another one. I have actually swapped out most parts, the wiper switch was the first piece and then the headlight switch. My high beam work now, but the turn signal part is kinda squirrely still. If you can stomach the price I'd just get a whole new unit and be done with it. I should have just done that myself, of course it is probably disco'd for a 91....

Hello Ya'll

Im into this right now.....I was driving to work yesterday and had my high beams on, Both lights went out at the same time. I tried my low beams they ALSO were out. I limped back to the house by pulling back on the lever which does turn on both sets of lights high/low pass/flash. After searching quite a bit I figured it was probably the "stalk" Switch so I decided to take it apart and see what it looks like.....My thoughts were to clean the contacts as I have read others have done with luck.

My rig is a 94 No Air bags.

Heres where I am at right now. I cleaned the contacts inside the box where the light/blinker handle-stalk attaches. The copper contacts on the right of that pic were squeaky clean, The contacts under the black plastic block on the left side were dirty so I cleaned them, however the way they make up leads me to believe they are blinker contacts....

So I am wondering where the actual contacts that some clean are located, perhaps in the harness below the steering wheel??

Or within the actual light/blinker handle-stalk?? does the end cap that you twist to turn on the lights come off???

I am also looking for a correct part # for the stalk or the entire assembly if need be as it sounds??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ruben-
20150131_150146.jpg
20150131_151155.jpg
20150131_152422.jpg

I googled....and found this part # which seems like its the correct one. 84112-69465

I found one on ebay and am thinking about ordering it and see if it corrects the problem....

Yeah I cleaned it and put it halfway back together & no change. I ordered the Switch handle for 65$ guess I'll wait n see if that does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom