Does anyone have a toybox that could take some measurements for me? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DangerNoodle

Essentially a fire wielding monkey.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I will post this up in hardcore as well, but I am looking at making my own adapters to shove a minitruck reduction housing into my drivetrain. It's the exact same concept that marlin does with their toybox, but since they aren't making them anymore, I can't get one. I guess the next best step for me would to be making some custom adapters to get one in. If anyone has one that is currently out, would you be willing to take some measurements for me?

Thanks,

-Noodle.

I will post this up in hardcore as well, but I am looking at making my own adapters to shove a minitruck reduction housing into my drivetrain. It's the exact same concept that marlin does with their toybox, but since they aren't making them anymore, I can't get one. I guess the next best step for me would to be making some custom adapters to get one in. If anyone has one that is currently out, would you be willing to take some measurements for me?

Thanks,

-Noodle.
The gearbox itself is 4". The adapters are both 1.25"

The gearbox itself is 4". The adapters are both 1.25"

Alec, do you know if marlin chages the output shaft on the box to mate with a landcrusier tcase?

Yes he does, in my opinion thats the hard part. Maybe AA adaptor sells just the shaft piece.

I hope that he may still have a few as spares, so that I could grab one, but who knows. Do you know if the input is changed as well?

Which version of the toybox i.e. which transmission and which transfer case are you putting it between?

Which version of the toybox i.e. which transmission and which transfer case are you putting it between?

Stock 40 transfer case, but I'm looking at making a custom adapter to a NV4500.

you able to cut/broach inside splines on the input gear of the mini truck box? the version i have is for an h41/42 trans which got a replacement 10 spline shaft. the h55 version they just had you cut the trans output shaft to length, so different input gear. not sure about adapting for an nv4500 output shaft cut to length.

you able to cut/broach inside splines on the input gear of the mini truck box? the version i have is for an h41/42 trans which got a replacement 10 spline shaft. the h55 version they just had you cut the trans output shaft to length, so different input gear. not sure about adapting for an nv4500 output shaft cut to length.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm thinking I'll need to get some custom output shaft made for my current adapter to make it work. I think marlin had custom input gears made for those boxes, but I'm not sure.

You're going to have a really hard time getting an output shaft made for this. It's really going to be the largest challenge of the whole deal.

There was an r151f in land Cruisers over seas that used a 23spline shaft that would have the split case features on the opposite side. It's hard to find and I've only seen it in parts diagrams so I'm not sure it's availability. I was thinking you might be able to get that along with a marlin crawler output from one of their mini truck doubler kits to work.

The input side maybe you could get machined and broached out and then heat treated but that too is going to be tough.

I would say that I less you find some used parts, or Marlin makes more you should look in a different direction.

For a long time he had a half kit for sale in the discount section of his website. It only had the transmission side available. That would have been half of your puzzle.

AA had a 23 spline mini truck adapter for the 4500 available until a few months ago I guess. I was considering that option for mine.

If it were me I would just do an atlas 4 speed and make it fit. But that's just me.

I love my doubler. I love my orion as well. Having 2.3 and 4.0 makes everything easy. Makes it easy not to break parts when you have control all the time.

I would personally avoid the 4.0 hear set for the split case. If you want to talk about that PM me.

Mike
IMG_0966.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

You're going to have a really hard time getting an output shaft made for this. It's really going to be the largest challenge of the whole deal.

There was an r151f in land Cruisers over seas that used a 23spline shaft that would have the split case features on the opposite side. It's hard to find and I've only seen it in parts diagrams so I'm not sure it's availability. I was thinking you might be able to get that along with a marlin crawler output from one of their mini truck doubler kits to work.

The input side maybe you could get machined and broached out and then heat treated but that too is going to be tough.

I would say that I less you find some used parts, or Marlin makes more you should look in a different direction.

For a long time he had a half kit for sale in the discount section of his website. It only had the transmission side available. That would have been half of your puzzle.

AA had a 23 spline mini truck adapter for the 4500 available until a few months ago I guess. I was considering that option for mine.

If it were me I would just do an atlas 4 speed and make it fit. But that's just me.

I love my doubler. I love my orion as well. Having 2.3 and 4.0 makes everything easy. Makes it easy not to break parts when you have control all the time.

I would personally avoid the 4.0 hear set for the split case. If you want to talk about that PM me.

Mike View attachment 2507964View attachment 2507965

View attachment 2507973

I'm hoping that I can either get an output shaft from marlin, or look at getting one made. I was hoping that AA had an adapter from the NV4500 to the minitruck, but I can't find it anymore as you said. I would love to do an atlas, but I'm not ready to spend 4K+ on the adapter and tcase. I don't really think I have the length in the drivetrain to fit the 5" adapter + 16" of t-case either. I'll shoot you a pm so we can talk.

Gears/shafts are "easy" if you can find a competent shop that wants to do a one off.

Many years ago(20+), there was a shop down inland San Diego called Gear Smiths that cut me a one off set of gears for adapting an NP203 gear reduction box in front of a SM465. It was ~$900 for three shafts: one new, two modified. They broached the mid shaft of the NP203 to take the SM465 input. They modified the SM465 input shaft to better fit the NP203 shaft above. They then created a new shaft that sat in the stock NP203 input.

FWIW, Advance will not reproduce other companies' shafts that they manufactured. For example, they won't reproduce the 19 spline output shaft for the NP203 to split case adapter.

I think I know of a machinist that is pretty willing to do one-offs, but I don't know if he has the capabilities to cut new shafts.

Ok im on my computer now.

Here's what the output of the front reduction box of a marlin crawler doubler kit looks like:

1606500433924.png

This is built to accept the input of the rear portion of the case:
1606500481772.png

This normally mates to the transmission output coupler.

Now for some 79 series trucks and maybe others they used an R series transmission and a split case (i think).

The R series has the 23 spline out put so they used the coupler and made a shaft with the split case pattern on one end, and the 23 spline on the other:

1606500403284.png

There are companies that make aftermarket output shafts for the mini trucks as well:
1606500992606.png

The issue with his is unless you work with them (which they likely wont want to do) the diameter of the mini truck output is too small to get it hobbled out to the Landcruiser output size. you would have to have them do the whole thing for you. That's what I was hoping you could see from this picture:

1606501210839.png

Now as for the NV4500 side of the transfer you're on your own now that AA stopped their adapter kit.

It's going to be too much of a project to justify over getting an atlas. After this is all done i don't think you'll miss the 4k. At least i know i wouldn't. And its really closer to 3k. You'll have a synchronized (at least half of it) transfer that can decouple either the front or rear drive which is kind of cool.

They have a short adapter to the NV4500 rear case you already have, and you can order a short rear output as well.

I hope that all makes sense more than the last post.

Mike

Ok im on my computer now.

Here's what the output of the front reduction box of a marlin crawler doubler kit looks like:

View attachment 2507992

This is built to accept the input of the rear portion of the case:
View attachment 2507993

This normally mates to the transmission output coupler.

Now for some 79 series trucks and maybe others they used an R series transmission and a split case (i think).

The R series has the 23 spline out put so they used the coupler and made a shaft with the split case pattern on one end, and the 23 spline on the other:

View attachment 2507991

There are companies that make aftermarket output shafts for the mini trucks as well:
View attachment 2508003

The issue with his is unless you work with them (which they likely wont want to do) the diameter of the mini truck output is too small to get it hobbled out to the Landcruiser output size. you would have to have them do the whole thing for you. That's what I was hoping you could see from this picture:

View attachment 2508004

Now as for the NV4500 side of the transfer you're on your own now that AA stopped their adapter kit.

It's going to be too much of a project to justify over getting an atlas. After this is all done i don't think you'll miss the 4k. At least i know i wouldn't. And its really closer to 3k. You'll have a synchronized (at least half of it) transfer that can decouple either the front or rear drive which is kind of cool.

They have a short adapter to the NV4500 rear case you already have, and you can order a short rear output as well.

I hope that all makes sense more than the last post.

Mike

Makes sense. I'll have to start looking at the possibilities of doing an atlas, but that seems like it's going to be over 5" longer than a toybox. I'm not sure if I have it in my drivetrain.

Another possible option for the transmission side would be to have the output shaft of the 4500 machined to a 23 spline pattern, and using a coupler to mate to a standard mini truck 23spine input. I don't knock what kind of length you have to work with.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom