Does anyone have a Tongue Weight Scale I could borrow? Maybe some advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am taking the family in an RV, and towing for the very first time. I am learning weight distribution is critical for stable driving, especially the tongue weight. I could really use one to take with me to make sure I am 10-12% of trailer GVWR (since I cannot weight the trailer reliably).

Also... any advice on tire pressure for the LC. I am sporting the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT285/65R18/E 125/122R. The tongue weight will likely be somewhere around 485 lbs. The trailer GVWR is 4400 lbs. There is a Weight Distribution hitch, so it will reduce tongue weight a little... which concerns me for sway.

Any advice or hints would be awesome. Also headed to Hatteras, so any wheeling trips or advice down there would be appreciated.

A weight distribution hitch does not reduce tongue Weight it distributes the weight to the front wheels. Travel trailers are usually made with the proper tongue weight if you use a weight distribution hitch with sway control.

I trailer a lot with various tow rigs and cargo of all weights and sizes. I will stay away from the math and science advice, but I will share good general advice. Trailering is like buying a motorcycle. Experience means a lot, but getting that experience means you need to survive a few inevitable scary moments to gain that experience. Don’t over dwell on all the ratios and science too much. Get the best set up and equipment you can obtain, but most importantly drive defensively and carefully as you gain confidence and experience. Keep your speed in check and distance behind what’s ahead of you. Watch out for downhill situations and rain, and relax on the uphills. Also learn to not jam on the brakes like you might under normal driving conditions. Go to evasive tactics and lane changes as your first defense and always be aware what’s around you. Hit the deer vs windup in a big mess for panicking. Your confidence and skill will build rapidly and it will all work out. If it goes it tows as Bob Bascom would say!

What others have said is gold. Just keep your following distance and remember the rear wheel cheat when making turns. As far as Hatteras there is no "Wheeling" allowed the beaches are administered by NPS and you can either buy the 10 day permit or the annual if you plan on coming back down. NPS considers beach driving the same as driving on the road and all rules of driving apply on the beaches as if you were driving down Rt 12 on the island.
I will caution you to air down and watch your line especially at ramps 44, 49 and 55 the sand is exceptionally soft and it is easy to get stuck and end up on Oregon inlet Idiots page as a victim. Other than that have a good time and I highly recommend the shrimp at Pop's Raw Bar.
1594270055377.png

Been reading all the tongue weight threads in the 200 section I'm guessing and making you second guess?

Yep! Nothing like getting a little educated on how many ways things can go wrong to increase the old pucker factor.

I feel the same way about taking the continuing education sessions for my professional liability insurance! :oops:

Just reporting in... no problems. Did some RV Island hopping down in the outer banks. Took the LC down the beach on both Cape Hatteras and the ferry to Cape Lookout. It was one of the best family vacations I have ever taken... with the family.

The RV was very small for us, and we will likely go up in weight next time. Looking at getting some airbags installed in the rear springs to help with the payload capacity and sag when loaded, but otherwise, I gained a lot of trust in my truck.

Damn the gas the mileage though. Stayed in "S" mode, never went above 65 (which made me the slow a$$4013 on the road), and was averaging 8-9 miles per gallon. When I tried "S" and allowed the 5th gear, every time I needed some power it would have to drop gears... and we were changing gears every 15 to 30 seconds which I felt was likely not a good plan for hours of driving.

Really stayed isolated. Went to the beaches others could not get to... dug out 2 Envoys, a Ford PU, and a Chevy PU. Felt good about my karma... played in the surf with the kids. Thank you everyone for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom