does any body makes locking hubs for a '94 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
does anybody sells a conversion locking hubs for a 94 fzj 80?

My mechanic tells me that the ones from a pick up truck will fit? Is he correct?

I thought may be from the fj40 will fit on the fzj80, but not the truck.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated?

Yes all you need is an Aisin mini truck hub. It will fit fine

DirtyHarry said:
From a 79-85 solid axle truck, not an 86+ IFS truck.
Are you sure? I thought the 86+ ones will work also.

26-spline NO
30-spine YES

Ok thanks Clownmidget.

has anybody done it? and how does the 80 drives? lighter? softer steering?

Waggoner5 said:
Lots of posts about this. Do a search as Clown says. I did this and noticed almost no difference in driveability or MPG. In my opinion, its a waste of $ and time.
only way it makes since is if you want to put a detroit up there.

well jeez, here I go getting dragged into this worthless thread.

First, a SIMPLE SEARCH would have negated absolutely all need for this thread!

But as for "why bother" since you'll still be spinning your front drivetrain, etc. If you don't take your truck off road then there is "almost" no reason since most everyone that has gone through the effort to put on locking hubs, pull the front driveshaft, lock the CDL and then check MPG have not seen an increase significant enough to justify it. I say "almost" because I think you could still make a valid argument about wear and tear on the front drivetrain being reduced. Again, how long to see some significant returns for all that - ????

If you do go off road then it starts to make more sense. Basically any damage you incur to your front driveline in a compromised position - where it is most likely to occur - can be dealt with by unlocking the hub to allow the front wheel to rotate and get you (hopefully) someplace safer/easier/more convenient to make repairs or limp home. Broken birfield, blown r & p, snapped axle shaft, or some nasty combo? These things are more and more likely when you start throwing on big tires. Throw in some Longfields, some chromoly axles, where is the weak link? Your 4.88's or 5.29's?

I'm not saying that will ever happen - it has ;) - or that the hubs will still get you out of a pickle but they are a very cheap, easy, otherwise innocuous "tool" to throw in your box. These are easily had for $50 or less with some searching, easily and quickly rebuildable, and if you never have to use them to save your a$$ then what's the big deal? They look a hell of a lot better than those ugly drive plates with those dopey grease caps :grinpimp:

Thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom