doea anyone make rear disc conversion kits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I am having probelms with my rear drums. Basically they are not adjusting. Ihaven't had it up in the air yet to figure out why but I am guessing it may be related to the seized parking brake cable. I need to fix this in order to pass the MD state inspection. I was thinking about doing a rear disc conversion to solve this problem.

Does anyone sell kits for rear disc conversion? Does it have a parking brake on it?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave -
Your bellcranks are probably siezed - my 84's were, preventing the auto adjusters from working thus not allowing the shoes to press against the drums fully. Put the rear axle on jack stands & take 1 side apart at a time; remove a bellcrank housing, drive the pin out & then the crank, sand the crank & the housing, & re-assemble with good, stiff, synthetic grease.

After you get both sides done, adjust the brakes manually (FSM shows how). I learned (before auto adjusters) to crank 'em up as far as you can & back each wheel off until you just hear one "sshhh" per revolution on each side. Now the auto adjusters will work.

Properly adjusted rear drum brakes are more than adequate. If you still have the need for rear discs, check out http://www.tsmmfg.com/2491.htm

Last edited:
I think rear disks on a 60 are a wasted effort. You'll probably end up with more problems than you'll solve. FWIW, I think MAF makes a conversion kit using some Caddy brakes.

Cruisergreg said:
I think rear disks on a 60 are a wasted effort. You'll probably end up with more problems than you'll solve. FWIW, I think MAF makes a conversion kit using some Caddy brakes.

IMO, they are worth the effort, although I'm still running drums. They're worth it with big tires, it takes a lot of effort to stop these rigs while running larger than stock tires. I also would like disks for when hill climbing and don't make it. The drums don't have the same stopping power while going backward.

Oh yeah, another good reason for RDB is when one breaks a rear axle, it helps to keep the wheel on. Although a FF axle is better. Now a FF with rear disks would be sweet on a 60. Half way their myself. :)

I remember reading that Lance at Iron Pig Off Road is working on a kit too. I have not seen it on his website but if anyone knows his progress I would like to know about it.

Jason

I have rear disks. I got them when I bought some kick ass set up axles from the master Peter Straub. Ok so I didnt have to set them up, but I just cant think of a time when disks arent better than drums. From performance (wet and dry) to wear, to maintenance, to replacement. Disks are better. I (well Rob added) added a 1994 FZJ80 master cylinder into the mix to give propper power to the rear end.

Overlord said:
Oh yeah, another good reason for RDB is when one breaks a rear axle, it helps to keep the wheel on. Although a FF axle is better. Now a FF with rear disks would be sweet on a 60. Half way their myself. :)

I'll be doing this before doing the SOA. I plan to order the TSM kit with Eldo calipers.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only things that're different for discs between the semi float and full float on a 60/62 are the brackets and the hole size on the rotor, right?

Hey HZ60 Guy, does the MC you got have any proportioning valve in it at all?The minitruck MC I got when I upgraded my fronts has no proportioning valve, so I had to adjust the LSPV quite a bit to get my rear drums to work again.

HZJ60 Guy said:
I just cant think of a time when disks arent better than drums.
I won't argue that point. But watching a friend with a RDB 60 have multiple problems with them made the conversion unattractive.

The dirty little secret about rear brakes is that they really (on pavement at leat) only account for about 10% of braking capacity - they are more for directional control when stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom