Builds Document & teardown of my 66 FJ45LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have begun disassembly in preparation for media blasting and I have questions right off the bat....

1. What is this part? It is located on the right side rear cargo area behind the screw-on side panel.
111.jpg
222.jpg

Last edited:
3. Looking down into the rear corner under the tail light.... should I be happy there does not appear to be any significant rust?

333.jpg

Your part asked about above is part of the fuel tank venting.
I have never seen any factory under coating.
Congrats on the lack of rust

You should be dancin' the freakin' jig my friend! That is one of those areas that is always rusted and so hard to get to. Clean it, blast, and soak it then seal it up as best you can. I I used a frame/ body sealer from eastwood it has an 18" tube extension that comes with it that is handy. I used a piece of bendable copper tube over it to keep it straight and get as far in as I could. Then, after blasting and coating the underside, I went at the bottom and sealed up all the places where water and crap gets in with auto seem sealer. Takes a while if it is on the ground but worth it for sure. I think I ended up using three tubes or so.

It looks like it has good bones. I believe you have a really good head start even if you only do the mechanicals and than take breather to decide if you really what to take it all the way. I agree finding a donor for replacing the missing parts is half the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom