Dobinsons Suspension options for Sequoia 01-07 and 08-22 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@BamaTundra & @SeanK10 - Question about the stiff ride comments, how frequently do you have your sequoia's loaded up with kids & gear? I've noticed my stock suspension sags in the rear when loaded up with my 5 kids.

5 kids!?!? Dang man, how have you not gone insane yet? I only have 2 kids and they are still small, so they aren't even enough weight to make a difference, but your in your case you might have more of an appropriate use for the heavy duty suspension than I do. I do ride around empty or lightly loaded regularly and am still happy with it empty.

@BamaTundra & @SeanK10 - Question about the stiff ride comments, how frequently do you have your sequoia's loaded up with kids & gear? I've noticed my stock suspension sags in the rear when loaded up with my 5 kids.

I'm less than 30 days in since installation, so not a lot of loaded trips yet. With 4 kids, I know what you mean about the rear end sag. I was seeing rear end sag on the stock suspension when unloaded.

I'm not seeing any sag with the 2.5" rear coils with the family of 6 plus some gear. No fully loaded trips yet.

Now when I say stiffer than stock, I don't mean it'a harsh ride now at all. I'm pleased with the way it rides being lifted 2.5" plus the bigger tires.

I'm looking at the 1.75 inch lift and installing 275/70/18 tires for my 2016 Sequoia.

Is the diff drop kit recommended with the 1.75 lift?

I'm looking at the 1.75 inch lift and installing 275/70/18 tires for my 2016 Sequoia.

Is the diff drop kit recommended with the 1.75 lift?
No, the diff drop kit isn't needed for that lift height.

Is the diff drop even needed for a 2.5" lift?
Technically not needed, although if the CV boots start rubbing each rib against the next, that causes them to wear quicker from the extra CV angle due to the lift height, and so the boots could wear early, and also the joints would be riding at an angle that's not as strong if it was lowered. The only downside to running a diff drop kit is that you lose 1" of clearance under the front because it uses 1" spacers to lower the diff and the skid plates down.

Since a diff drop kit goes in separately from a suspension install, if someone is doubtful about whether or not to run it, I suggest adding the lift, letting it settle, then checking the CV boots and angles to see how they look. Then you can add it afterwards. It's like CV joint insurance, reducing the operating angle of them when lifted.

@SeanK10 and @BamaTundra I have another question...Did you guys install rear shock extenders? I have a Bilstein 6112/5100 setup with rear spring spacers and I have that sag issue which I am not a fan of (I also have 5 kids which doesn't help this issue, I thought I was the only crazy one). So I want to get the Dobinsons 2.5" rear springs and it suggests extenders with the 5100s, which have a longer travel than the Dobinson shocks so that's where I'm stuck. Thanks in advance for any input guys!

Technically not needed, although if the CV boots start rubbing each rib against the next, that causes them to wear quicker from the extra CV angle due to the lift height, and so the boots could wear early, and also the joints would be riding at an angle that's not as strong if it was lowered. The only downside to running a diff drop kit is that you lose 1" of clearance under the front because it uses 1" spacers to lower the diff and the skid plates down.

Since a diff drop kit goes in separately from a suspension install, if someone is doubtful about whether or not to run it, I suggest adding the lift, letting it settle, then checking the CV boots and angles to see how they look. Then you can add it afterwards. It's like CV joint insurance, reducing the operating angle of them when lifted.
Agreed, although I did drop the diff and still tore both boots within a week of the lift, 2.5, 05 with 150k. Going to depend on the condition of the boots. Boot swap isn't a hard job for the average shade tree.

@SeanK10 and @BamaTundra I have another question...Did you guys install rear shock extenders? I have a Bilstein 6112/5100 setup with rear spring spacers and I have that sag issue which I am not a fan of (I also have 5 kids which doesn't help this issue, I thought I was the only crazy one). So I want to get the Dobinsons 2.5" rear springs and it suggests extenders with the 5100s, which have a longer travel than the Dobinson shocks so that's where I'm stuck. Thanks in advance for any input guys!

I also got the Dobinson's shocks.

Since everyone likes pics

176E4856-E6A5-4636-AF26-5FBBAD9CF480.jpeg

438EE9B2-F17D-4E62-A586-05A75377A1E6.jpeg

@BamaTundra Nice looking ride! I just ordered the 2.5 Dobinsons lift for my '14 Sequoia.
What did you use for Rear shock extenders? Did you have to upgrade your UCA's?

@BamaTundra Nice looking ride! I just ordered the 2.5 Dobinsons lift for my '14 Sequoia.
What did you use for Rear shock extenders? Did you have to upgrade your UCA's?

I didn't use any extenders. I used the Dobinson shocks that came with the kit. Maybe @crikeymike can chime in on the possible need for that?

Still using the stock UCAs. Everything aligned nicely.

I didn't use any extenders. I used the Dobinson shocks that came with the kit. Maybe @crikeymike can chime in on the possible need for that?

Still using the stock UCAs. Everything aligned nicely.
I didn't realize people were using them until today. I called Dobinsons this morning and Dobinsons is working on their own extenders just to make sure the shock doesn't hit full extension too easily, but in the meantime, some have been using this apparently: Rear Shock Extender Kit For 2-4" Lift Toyota Sequoia 2008-2021 2WD 4WD

I don't have a Sequoia to test for down travel amounts with the 2.5" rear coils and the GS59-713 shocks in place. Maybe @BamaTundra could do a travel test and see how much shock length is left? Just lift up from the center of the frame or from the tow hitch, and see the difference between ride height and how much travel is left in the rear before the tires come off the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom