Dobinsons Suspension options for Sequoia 01-07 and 08-22 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, with the springs they came with.

Even aftermarket Bilsteins like 5100's even are only intended to be used with stock springs, they state it in their terms and conditions. They're essentially an OE shock upgrade.

The Dobinsons coils would be best paired with Dobinsons struts and shocks or another similar heavier rated product.

It's funny, I forgot I asked this here and I just recently talked to a Bilstein tech advisor who told me the exact same thing..........Bilstein 5100's with stock springs only. He said a 1" spacer could be added to the rear stock coils and that was it.

So I have some Bilstein 5100's ordered but they are on backorder now so I am considering the Dobinsons.
I am thinking the 1.75" kit......I don't need the 2.5" as I don't do a lot off offroading, just dirt roads and maybe some flatter off road stuff if anything, nothing crazy.
Can you tell me the difference between the rear 1.75" linear springs and the rear 2.5" variable rate springs?
What will the variable rate spring do for me and when and/or would I really notice the difference?? Are the linear springs going to be a rough ride or just stiffer than the variable springs?
Thanks!

Last edited:
It's funny, I forgot I asked this here and I just recently talked to a Bilstein tech advisor who told me the exact same thing..........Bilstein 5100's with stock springs only. He said a 1" spacer could be added to the rear stock coils and that was it.

So I have some Bilstein 5100's ordered but they are on backorder now so I am considering the Dobinsons.
I am thinking the 1.75" kit......I don't need the 2.5" as I don't do a lot off offroading, just dirt roads and maybe some flatter off road stuff if anything, nothing crazy.
Can you tell me the difference between the rear 1.75" linear springs and the rear 2.5" variable rate springs?
What will the variable rate spring do for me and when and/or would I really notice the difference?? Are the linear springs going to be a rough ride or just stiffer than the variable springs?
Thanks!
Yeah, it's info that a lot of people don't know about Bilstein and the intentions of those shocks.

Essentially Dobinsons chose to make the 2.5" coils variable rate because of the parameters they have to work with for the space in the rear end, plus to give that sort of height. The higher you go on independent rear suspension, the firmer it gets, so they used a variable rate spring. You sacrifice down travel by going with additional lift. The performance of the vehicle would be better at 1.75" because the rest of the geometry parts will be closer aligned to stock at that height than the 2.5"

Yeah, it's info that a lot of people don't know about Bilstein and the intentions of those shocks.

Essentially Dobinsons chose to make the 2.5" coils variable rate because of the parameters they have to work with for the space in the rear end, plus to give that sort of height. The higher you go on independent rear suspension, the firmer it gets, so they used a variable rate spring. You sacrifice down travel by going with additional lift. The performance of the vehicle would be better at 1.75" because the rest of the geometry parts will be closer aligned to stock at that height than the 2.5"
Good to know, thanks for the info!!!

Has anyone jumped on these new Dobinsons IMS shocks yet? Also curious if anyone knows if Dobinsons plans to offer the full MRA style with the remote reservoirs. They are offered for the 200 series...

Has anyone jumped on these new Dobinsons IMS shocks yet? Also curious if anyone knows if Dobinsons plans to offer the full MRA style with the remote reservoirs. They are offered for the 200 series...

I've sold a few sets of them but I don't think anyone has posted a review of them yet, since a lot of people are still waiting on the coils to arrive (they're constantly sold out).

No, there are no plans for a rear MRA, but there will be some for the front, since they're the same as the Tundra.

Bringing this thread back to life.

I was a little slack and forgot to add the IMS struts and shock options for both generation Sequoias. I've just added that info into the first post of this thread, as well as links to the twin tube kit and IMS suspension kit for each model. Click on the part number of each item for the full details and info about that specific product.

It's nice to be able to offer 2 levels of shocks for each model now.

Also, Dobinsons rear shock extensions for the 2008+ Sequoia came out a few months ago, and I've also added those into the first post.

The next thing we're hoping to see will be the MRA 3-way adjustable front struts for the 2008+ Sequoia, as they're the same for the Tundra, and Dobinsons has been working on the MRA's for the Tundra for some time and just haven't got them through production yet, so it will be 2022 before those come around I'm sure.

Sales of all Sequoia parts have been huge this year, and with Dobinsons being the only company offering true lift coils for the rear of the 2008+ Sequoia, they're almost always on backorder, and those who wait for them "to come into stock" end up being disappointed as they're almost always all sold out before they arrive.

Dobinsons sale starts Monday the 8th. Click here for full details:

November Sale.jpg

5 kids!?!? Dang man, how have you not gone insane yet? I only have 2 kids and they are still small, so they aren't even enough weight to make a difference, but your in your case you might have more of an appropriate use for the heavy duty suspension than I do. I do ride around empty or lightly loaded regularly and am still happy with it empty.
I have 7. 🤣🤣

I have Bilstein 5100s and 1.75" Dobinsons springs front & back on my 2013 Sequoia, I have seen talk of a differential drop needed but only see a front available & it's not part of the 1.75 kit. Do I need to worry about it?

Thanks

I have Bilstein 5100s and 1.75" Dobinsons springs front & back on my 2013 Sequoia, I have seen talk of a differential drop needed but only see a front available & it's not part of the 1.75 kit. Do I need to worry about it?

Thanks

Nope. I’ve always read not till you go 2.5” or more and they are still controversial. :meh:

Thanks
I’ve been trying to get a strait answer on this for awhile. I THINK, if it’s less than 3” you’re good to go. I’m of the mind set that it’s probably a good idea.

Thanks

Nope. I’ve always read not till you go 2.5” or more and they are still controversial. :meh:
Yeah, not needed unless you go up to 2.5"

Figured I'd do a stock update, since a few people have been asking these past few days.

For 2008-2021 Sequoia's.

As of right now, the wait for a pair of the 1.75" front coils are in stock, there's no ETA on the front 2.5". 1.75" rear coils is end August, early September. The 2.5" rears are due mid/late July. FWIW, the 2.5" front and rear coils have been sold out for more than 8 months now, and they're always sold out before they come in.

Figured I'd do a stock update, since a few people have been asking these past few days.

For 2008-2021 Sequoia's.

As of right now, the wait for a pair of the 1.75" front coils are in stock, there's no ETA on the front 2.5". 1.75" rear coils is end August, early September. The 2.5" rears are due mid/late July. FWIW, the 2.5" front and rear coils have been sold out for more than 8 months now, and they're always sold out before they come in.
What set up would you recommend for an 08 Sequoia to be able to run 34" tires without any body chop? Thanks!

What set up would you recommend for an 08 Sequoia to be able to run 34" tires without any body chop? Thanks!
You'd have to do the bigger 2.5" lift, but there are still no guarantees about tire fitment. I've seen guys put on that big of a tire and not cut, but that's not to say they don't rub at some point during articulation up and down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom