Dobinsons Rear Bumper – My Thoughts, Pictures, + YouTube Overview (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
Hey, all!

I just picked up my rig from Land Cruiser NW here in Portland yesterday after having them install my new Dobinsons rear bumper. I went w/ the single jerry can option. I really wanted to go the Kaymar route... But when I found out the price from the guys at Long Range America (Kaymar's USA dealer) I about :poop: my pants. So I decided that the Dobinsons was the next-best choice as it fit my budget AND it looked pretty similar to the Kaymar aesthetic-wise.

(See pictures down below ↓)

My thoughts:

Overall this is a GREAT rear bumper! The bumper is sturdy and high quality and the swing-out mechanisms work smoothly. The design is smart and looks wise – it looks fantastic.
The overall quality is high. I give it 4.5/5 ⭐'s.

As far as ease-of-installation – I can't say, because I myself didn't install it. But from what I was told by Tony @ LCNW he said that it took their guy a full 8hr day to install it.

The total cost for the bumper + shipping was $2435.

Here is a link to the EXACT bumper I purchased: Dobinsons Rear Bumper With Swing Outs for Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series (BW80-4134) - https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/collections/rear-bumpers/products/dobinsons-rear-bumper-kit-for-toyota-landcruiser-80-series

ALSO: I did a YouTube video walkaround/overview of the bumper and showed how the swingout mechanisms work, how the bumper looks from all angles, the view out of the rear-window inside the car (to show how much the spare tire obstructs your view), and I mentioned my one negative thought about the bumper (4:05).

If you're considering the Dobinsons bumper or are bumper shopping and want to weigh your options then this video should be helpful to you.

A6829562-9189-463C-9EEC-378F3A647E79.jpeg

029EA2DD-98DB-4CEC-99A6-2B333CCC6966_1_201_a.jpeg

F3A90A6D-0185-416F-9375-EE42875432F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. The Kaymar is about $1K more and they both look very similar. Not sure why it’s that much more but glad you’re happy with the Dobbie rear end.

I like the look of that. Nice to see one in the wild as it were. Clean lines.

Great video and write up!!

We're doing a sale on these, starting on Monday. Details are here:

I’ve got both Kaymar and Dobinsons.

Kaymar is about 1/3 heavier. That’s a good thing if you plan on dragging your ass off ledges in Moab and such often.

I chose the Dobinsons on my 80 v the Kaymar because of its light weight. Also, I never installed the swing outs because I hate swingouts unless I really really need them.

Your mechanic is slow. I’m slow and it took about 3 hours. Add the swing outs maybe 4 had I done them. I only say that in case you use them a lot.

1C840608-87E8-447E-9AC1-AF08D7605CDC.jpeg

I’ve got both Kaymar and Dobinsons.

Kaymar is about 1/3 heavier. That’s a good thing if you plan on dragging your ass off ledges in Moab and such often.

I chose the Dobinsons on my 80 v the Kaymar because of its light weight. Also, I never installed the swing outs because I hate swingouts unless I really really need them.

Your mechanic is slow. I’m slow and it took about 3 hours. Add the swing outs maybe 4 had I done them. I only say that in case you use them a lot.

View attachment 2838604
Ambulance doors – COOL! Is that an Aussie import?

I didn’t know the Kaymar was that heavy! Well now I’m glad I went the Dobinsons route – as I have no lift on my rig so the Kaymar would’ve likely made my rig’s butt sag.

Re/ my slow mechanic. The shop I had install my Dobinsons I normally don’t go to. They’re a Cruiser speciality shop – so they charge big bucks. But I didn’t want to have my regular Cruiser mechanic install it – just because I don’t think they do bumper installs or accessory installs at his shop. And I already had this LC specialty shop install my ARB front bumper last year – so I decided to just have them do the install.
You’re right – it does seem like it took them an abnormally long time to install it. I did inquire with fellow guys who have the Dobinsons on their rigs and the general consensus was that it takes 3-4hrs for the install. Idk what took them so long to install mine…

Hey, all!

I just picked up my rig from Land Cruiser NW here in Portland yesterday after having them install my new Dobinsons rear bumper. I went w/ the single jerry can option. I really wanted to go the Kaymar route... But when I found out the price from the guys at Long Range America (Kaymar's USA dealer) I about :poop: my pants. So I decided that the Dobinsons was the next-best choice as it fit my budget AND it looked pretty similar to the Kaymar aesthetic-wise.

(See pictures down below ↓)

My thoughts:

Overall this is a GREAT rear bumper! The bumper is sturdy and high quality and the swing-out mechanisms work smoothly. The design is smart and looks wise – it looks fantastic.
The overall quality is high. I give it 4.5/5 ⭐'s.

As far as ease-of-installation – I can't say, because I myself didn't install it. But from what I was told by Tony @ LCNW he said that it took their guy a full 8hr day to install it.

The total cost for the bumper + shipping was $2435.

Here is a link to the EXACT bumper I purchased: Dobinsons Rear Bumper With Swing Outs for Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series (BW80-4134) - https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/collections/rear-bumpers/products/dobinsons-rear-bumper-kit-for-toyota-landcruiser-80-series

ALSO: I did a YouTube video walkaround/overview of the bumper and showed how the swingout mechanisms work, how the bumper looks from all angles, the view out of the rear-window inside the car (to show how much the spare tire obstructs your view), and I mentioned my one negative thought about the bumper (4:05).

If you're considering the Dobinsons bumper or are bumper shopping and want to weigh your options then this video should be helpful to you.

View attachment 2816692

View attachment 2816691

View attachment 2841231

Great review and info on the Dobinsons Bumper. How has it held up since the review? I'm about make a purchase and leaning towards Dobinsons due to price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom