Dobinsons 3.5" Tapered Lift... or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll measure them tomorrow! Hopefully it’s something dumb like that
My truck has a lift puck on front driver bc the body leans from a wreck. I guess whoever fixed the front end decided that was easier than repairing the couple messed up body mounts.

Honestly I feel like it's more trouble that it's worth to try to eliminate lean. Mine might have one? But if it does it's 1/4" tops and I am fine with that. If you are using the cruiser correctly it should never be on level ground so who cares if it has a barely noticeable lean in the driveway? :flipoff2:

Now that I've said that let's get even more technical with this. Could an improper panhard adjustment cause a slight lean as the lower spring perches would not be in line with the uppers? The first 3 coils on my driver side were touching until I got an alignment. Now they are almost identical to the passenger side. 🤔

My truck has a lift puck on front driver bc the body leans from a wreck. I guess whoever fixed the front end decided that was easier than repairing the couple messed up body mounts.
I check the body mounts and the taller drivers side is actually 1/4” lower🤷🏽‍♀️ So I’d assume that this sign the issue.

Honestly I feel like it's more trouble that it's worth to try to eliminate lean. Mine might have one? But if it does it's 1/4" tops and I am fine with that. If you are using the cruiser correctly it should never be on level ground so who cares if it has a barely noticeable lean in the driveway? :flipoff2:

Now that I've said that let's get even more technical with this. Could an improper panhard adjustment cause a slight lean as the lower spring perches would not be in line with the uppers? The first 3 coils on my driver side were touching until I got an alignment. Now they are almost identical to the passenger side. 🤔
I think that could cause a slight lean but as the new spring settles the front of the 80 has a 2” lean to the passenger side. And the OME Js I took off were within 1/2” which I could totally live with. I think boldilocks was into something about me getting a 3.5” tapered spring. Because the new warrantied spring sits perfectly at 2.5”.

I know I’m being really particular about the spring height but the reason I got the lift was to have the 80 low and run the eimkieth brackets to get more down travel. And the springs I got gave the 80 over 4” of lift. I love the way they ride but the original springs were just giving me to much lift

View attachment 2505339

That is how it is currently sitting with a fresh install. In its natural habitat at the gas pump.

I think the lift height numbers Dobinsons advertises are for a fully loaded expedition rig. The folks in OZ tend to throw a lot more weight into theirs.

For example in that photo the rear is sitting just under 3" of lift with a 4x4 labs rear, some gear in the back, the RTT, and a drawer system loaded with all of my tools. My rig is about 5700 lbs with two passengers and no camping gear.
What size tires?

Here she is before and after the operation. Big shout out the Pascoscout for all his help and expertise! Install went great thanks to his expert help. More pictures to follow. After install measured 24” from hub to bottom of fender, 23 3/4 on one side. The springs were labeled correctly for US left hand drive application.

4680F225-C968-47DA-A012-7195A2FD7DE2.jpeg

08CC4124-391A-4ADE-8119-4B24BCE2943A.jpeg

Last edited:
So far she drives great. There is a little body roll, but not enough that I’m worried about it. I don’t have any weight to speak of. Drives strait, no vibrations or drifting that I’ve noticed yet. This is the Dobinsons 2.5” tapered springs with 4” lift IMS shocks, castor correction bushings etc. planning to do the breaks and fuel filter next

A2C528DF-B9FC-4A28-B3D9-C900A14AE59B.jpeg
C3FEF12E-B35A-4D8D-AAF2-B5BFA94FA6B4.jpeg

I have the 2.5vts up front, 3.0VTs in the rear. Front lift is a bit much even with a winch and bumper. I hated how they handled without hd sways.

I have most of the 3.5vt kit in the garage. Glad these lift more than advertised, hopefully going to get 4in out of it for 37s. My truck isn’t particularly heavy yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom