Dobinsons 3.5" Tapered Lift... or? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get longer brake lines. You will need them. Get the flexi coils.
Panhard bars are nice. They help center the wheels under the truck.

When you order just call David Attero. If you have any other questions or want suggestions this man knows his stuff.
I know when I ordered stuff was on sale so I got an extra 10% off from him.

I just installed the 146vt and 147vt advertised to me as 2.5" springs for use with the 4" shock for maximum travel. I went with the IMS shocks over the regular yellow so perhaps travel is different from the general lift height number.

No personal experience with the 6" shocks, just from what I've read here. My 2.5" lift variable rate tapered spring is nowhere near maxed out with the 4" lift shocks.

Note that the point of the Variable Rate Tapered springs is that you have a lot of spring length compressed at the top of the spring which allows it to stretch a lot more than a single rate spring would.

• Variable tapered coils for a heavy rig.
  • Flexicoils for a light rig.
I'm not a fan of linear coils

I had 4" Flexicoils in the rear and with a 4x4 Labs bumper, spare tire mounted, and myself the Cruiser was great. With family and full camp gear, the rear sat about 1.5" lower and wallowed badly. Driving on the beach with gear caused the rear to bounce badly and the light duty Fox shocks could not keep up.

I've recently installed variable tapered coils and IMS shocks. I'm impressed. The Cruiser is still soft but feels planted and the bumps are muted. I haven't taken it too far to really test them because I have indications of a HG failure coming soon.

BTW, the IMS shocks (9.8lbs) are FAT and weigh twice as much as the Fox shocks (4.8lbs). The IMS are built for abuse.

Well, its a done deal. Suppose to get the kit about the end of December. I appreciate the advice guys. I’ll journal the install and start a form to post the pictures on! Now…. what bumpers?

Invoice Screeenshot.jpg

Nice job on getting some good springs! Money well spent.

I would pick up a cheap strut compressor. Makes installing a little easier.

The trail gear front bumper is cheap and just fine.

Nice job on getting some good springs! Money well spent.

I would pick up a cheap strut compressor. Makes installing a little easier.

Do Not get the cheapest one. The hooks on the cheapest HF one have broken on me. Even on the next step up HF spring compressors i was a little scared installing these springs. I felt I was at the limit of what the compressors would hold.

To get these springs on you needs your brake lines extended already and the swaybars disconnected then you compress the spring and then fight it a bit. Fronts were harder than the rears.

I managed to install the springs without a compressor. Front end requires disconnecting the panhard.

Fronts are definitely harder than the rears.

The most difficult part of my install was the driver front frame to axle brake line. That one was just awful to access.

Last edited:
It also depends on what spring you're installing. The Variable Rate Tapered springs are very tall. Oh, and in addition to using the spring compressor. I used zip ties on the softer rate top coils to cinch them down, then I clipped them off when I had it in place. Every little bit helps to get these in.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but multi rate springs won’t ride like a normal linear spring if you’re one the lighter side. I just went on a 4 hour road trip and noticed that when going around corners, the body will roll a lot until it compresses into the 2nd rate of the tapered coil. I’m waaaay light for the spring ( just sliders and drawers). Just a heads up for anybody interested in the tapered coils.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but multi rate springs won’t ride like a normal linear spring if you’re one the lighter side. I just went on a 4 hour road trip and noticed that when going around corners, the body will roll a lot until it compresses into the 2nd rate of the tapered coil. I’m waaaay light for the spring ( just sliders and drawers). Just a heads up for anybody interested in the tapered coils.
Guess I’d better get some bumper ordered. I’ll be light until I finish a few things. Duo yellow top, winch, duel jerrycans, roof rack etc. I’m going to keep one seat in the back for the kiddos but I want to put storage in the other side.

I even have that feeling with bumpers and loaded drawers. Still getting used to it.

It almost feels like there is no swaybar for the first half inch of compression as you go into a turn. As soon as it moves into the 2nd rate it firms up. Like anything you trade one thing for another. The springs tend to have a bit more roll on the road, but they soak up bumps and potholes like they are not even there.

I even have that feeling with bumpers and loaded drawers. Still getting used to it.

It almost feels like there is no swaybar for the first half inch of compression as you go into a turn. As soon as it moves into the 2nd rate it firms up. Like anything you trade one thing for another. The springs tend to have a bit more roll on the road, but they soak up bumps and potholes like they are not even there.

An upgraded swaybar helps a lot with that roll feeling. Whiteline is having a Black Friday sale now

An upgraded swaybar helps a lot with that roll feeling. Whiteline is having a Black Friday sale now

I'm interested... but I also just bought some delta arms and the holidays are right around the corner. The cruiser modification fund is going to be pretty low for a while.

I think my bigger problem right now is no caster correction. I drive the cruiser pretty slow and easy but its a wandering machine with the extra front end height.

Well, its a done deal. Suppose to get the kit about the end of December. I appreciate the advice guys. I’ll journal the install and start a form to post the pictures on! Now…. what bumpers?

View attachment 2506415
Castor bushing are the absolute last choice for castor correction. Considering your choice of springs and shocks, I assume you plan to do some wheeling. Why not do it right and buy new radius arms or at least use castor correction plates. If you flex the suspension hard those correction bushings won’t last even if they are “rubber”.

I can go through oem bushings every couple years and they have the bolt hole centered in the rubber bushing mass.

Castor bushing are the absolute last choice for castor correction. Considering your choice of springs and shocks, I assume you plan to do some wheeling. Why not do it right and buy new radius arms or at least use castor correction plates. If you flex the suspension hard those correction bushings won’t last even if they are “rubber”.

I can go through oem bushings every couple years and they have the bolt hole centered in the rubber bushing mass.
I will definitely be up grading more over time. I will prob see what I get for a Christmas bonus this year and maybe get the plates, Panhard rods and upgrade the sway bars. I suspect that once the lift is installed I’ll have a better idea of what I need to do next. 👍

View attachment 2505339

That is how it is currently sitting with a fresh install. In its natural habitat at the gas pump.

I think the lift height numbers Dobinsons advertises are for a fully loaded expedition rig. The folks in OZ tend to throw a lot more weight into theirs.

For example in that photo the rear is sitting just under 3" of lift with a 4x4 labs rear, some gear in the back, the RTT, and a drawer system loaded with all of my tools. My rig is about 5700 lbs with two passengers and no camping gear.

This is the exact height/stance i'm looking for as well. Did you put together what you needed piece meal or is this one of their kits??

This is the exact height/stance i'm looking for as well. Did you put together what you needed piece meal or is this one of their kits??
I had to call and request this kit. I talked to Leo and he knew exactly what I was wanting. I got the impression that he’d had this request before. Basically it’s the basic 2.5” IMS lift kit with the tapered long travel coils and 4” IMS shocks. If you select the basic 2.5” IMS kit online, the tapered coils aren’t an option with the basic kit, and I’m not sure what length shock come with the basic kit. It’s 15% off until the end of November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom